Fan clutch shaft lenths anyone used another lenth from different model ?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

SoCal250

Fan clutch shaft lenths anyone used another lenth from different model ?

Post by SoCal250 »

Hi I searched and did not find the answer in previous post I have a 69 f 250 390 , I just got it running after rebuild not on the road yet still fine tuning carb etc, I replaced the fan clutch to a Hayden thermal type it has a short shaft no more than 1" at the part stores it was listed under my make and model I am the second owner of this truck and the motor was shot when I bought it .
The fan blades or the whole fan is almost outside the fan shroud ???? And too close for my liking to the pullys and that the front of the fan barely is inside the shroud truck gets hot at idle quick with that distance don't see how effective the spring is going to be so far away .
I seen a clutch for a Corvette the shaft was about 2" anyone had this problem or have any other cars with longer shaft lenths ? So I can at least get fan flush inside the shroud .....thanks .....
Lee

Re: Fan clutch shaft lenths anyone used another lenth from different model ?

Post by Lee »

Hi,

When I installed the clutch type fan on my 1970 F250 I ordered a spacer from Summit... take a look at the link:

https://www.summitracing.com/search?Sor ... 4294949154

You will want the blades of the fan 1/2 way into the shroud.

Take care
Lee
SoCal250

Re: Fan clutch shaft lenths anyone used another lenth from different model ?

Post by SoCal250 »

Thanks funny thing I went to pep boys and bought a Hayden thermo fan clutch it was cheap 20 bucks part number 2170 I call Hayden customer service told them the situation they told me we're did you get that part # we don't make a fan clutch for your year ???? We don't make one for your engine and that number is not for your application ? If it bolts on it's the right part I guess at some auto part stores my fan was completely outside the shroud . I am switching to a extreme 3,300 cfm elec fan .....