What does this linkage do?

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

What does this linkage do?

Post by dcbullet »

I looked under the aircleaner for the first time and there is this linkage that is not hooked up:

The linkage pointed to with the red arrow goes down to a lever on the transmission. I think it attaches to the lever pointed to with the blue arrow.

Looks like when it is hooked up it gets pulled when full throttle is engaged. There are some broken spring parts on the intake manifold that I assume bring the lever back after you let up on the gas pedal.

Any help would be appreciated. 360 with C6.

Thanks in advance.
mk
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: What does this linkage do?

Post by mk »

That's your 3rd gear to 2nd kick down rod. If you push back on it, I think you'll find that there is spring pressure on it from below. Once you get a clip to hold it to that link on the lever at the carb, assuming the carb is the right one, everything should work normal.

mike
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Thanks Mike.

I didn't notice spring pressure but I wasn't looking for it, since I saw those springs remains on the intake manifold and had made some assumptions based on that. I'll check it out.

Thanks.
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Your truck will be alot more enjoyable to drive with that rod hooked back up and adjusted right. :D
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: What does this linkage do?

Post by dcbullet »

460 crew wrote:Your truck will be alot more enjoyable to drive with that rod hooked back up and adjusted right. :D
:lol: Yeah, everyting I do makes it a little better each week!

So I was looking at the diagrams in the service manual and it does look like a spring is attached from the throttle lever back to a bracket on the carb/intake manifold (separate from the dual springs). Are these springs standard and easy to get, like at Autozone, etc?
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

How does the kickdown lever attach to the rod? It has a non-threaded post that fits through the hole in the rod, does it need a clip to hold it on?
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Yes there is a clip they look like little horseshoes and come in a variety pack at autozone in the junk aisle, check the other end of the rod that is attached to the trans linkage on the side of the tranny and there should be a clip on that end you can get a visual on. As for the spring pick one up in the same area just a throttle return spring and adapt it to work so that there is enough pressure to bring the kickdown lever back(dosen't need a whole lot) so the spring in the tranny dosen't do all the work. Hope this helps.. :wink:
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: What does this linkage do?

Post by dcbullet »

460 crew wrote: Hope this helps.. :wink:
Helps a bunch. Much appreciated.