Pitman arm difference question

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Pitman arm difference question

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Been trying to find a C9TA-3590-E pitman arm and finally thought I had one located until I opened the box and discovered I had been sent a C9TA-3590-L. I called the p!ace I got it from and they are trying to tell me their cross reference says its the same thing and should fit so just out of curiosity I went out and froze my butt off to see if it would fit and it does go on my Saginaw box but doesn't seem to want to seat all the way up on the shaft - but I haven't cleaned and blasted it yet so not sure if its just because it has a little rust in the splines or if it just won't work. Can anyone give any specifics as to why it wouldn't work so I can better explain it to this guy since he insists it will? I quoted him EXACTLY what it says on the steering tech page but he still says it should work......... :?
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Pitman arm difference question

Post by Nitekruizer »

You would think that with the popularity of this swap/upgrade, that at least of the classic Ford places, LMC, Dennis Carpenter, NPD etc, would sell repop versions of the C9TA-E. Where did you buy it? Could you provide a link or a picture?
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Nitekruizer wrote:You would think that with the popularity of this swap/upgrade, that at least of the classic Ford places, LMC, Dennis Carpenter, NPD etc, would sell repop versions of the C9TA-E. Where did you buy it? Could you provide a link or a picture?
:yt: .......that's exactly what I can't understand is why NOBODY repops them.....and I'm beginning to think they are as rare as hens teeth because I've been hunting for 2 months with no luck....... :(

I got it from a place called Chuck's Trucks LLC in CT - he deals with older F100 stuff but has connections over that way for newer stuff - only place I called that bothered to even call me back or return an email out of about a dozen places I tried......... Easiest way to see the differences is here.........

http://www.fordification.com/tech/str-s ... ations.htm

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Gonna go off in a different direction........has anyone ever heated and bent a D2TA-3590-BA pitman arm to match the C9TA-3590-E? I have an extra one and have contemplated taking it to work and bending it to match the one I need since I can't seem to find the right one I need......I can t see where it would cause any problems as long as I get it hot enough and let it cool normally........ :?

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Tinkerer, good luck which ever way you decide to go.

Either way I hope you can find one that works.

:fr: :fr: :fr: :fr:
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

It will take a lot...of heat to get the 1" thick forged Detroit steel, (back when steel was steel-not remelted Jap junk) steering arm hot enough to bend.
Try giving Jeff's a call:
https://broncograveyard.com/?gclid=Cj0K ... JqEALw_wcB
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

basketcase0302 wrote:It will take a lot...of heat to get the 1" thick forged Detroit steel, (back when steel was steel-not remelted Jap junk) steering arm hot enough to bend.
Try giving Jeff's a call:
https://broncograveyard.com/?gclid=Cj0K ... JqEALw_wcB
Thanks for the info on Jeff's - one place I hadn't tried yet........ :doh:

As far as bending it the place I work has about anything I need to just about anything so that shouldn't be a problem.........I think I'll head over to the weld dept at lunch and try it just to see if it can be done and post up some photos if it works.......... :D

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Took advantage of the rare 70 degree day here to install the D2TZ-3590-BA pitman arm I heated and bent and thought I would post a photo of them together before I installed it......
IMG_20180220_131904_hdr_kindlephoto-142181127.jpg
I now have the correct angle and the drag link ball joint is centered instead of pulled toward the back of the socket......... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Awesome deal. Wish I had a torch that big to bend it LOL. My small oxy/acetylene would never heat it enough? :lol:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

basketcase0302 wrote:Awesome deal. Wish I had a torch that big to bend it LOL. My small oxy/acetylene would never heat it enough? :lol:
One of the advantages of working for a big company with a good boss who doesn't mind government jobs......... :wink:

That rosebud on the one of the torches back in welding could about melt it if I wanted to........ :evil:

1997 Honda CBR 900RR