Dropped Safety Pin Down Steering Column

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Jzbochat

Dropped Safety Pin Down Steering Column

Post by Jzbochat »

I was working on replacing my neutral safety pin because my old one broke in half. The part that actually clips to the steering column still remained, so I pried it off and the clip fell into the steering column. Is there any way to remove this piece without removing the entire column? Can I fish out the piece with a magnet or should I just not worry about it, the piece is pretty large though.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Dropped Safety Pin Down Steering Column

Post by sargentrs »

:cuss: Ouch! I hate it when that happens. You should probably try to get it out with a magnet. It's pretty sturdy and might get stuck in your shift levers and lock them up. While not impossible, it's difficult to get everything out of the way while still in the truck so pulling the column is actually the easiest option. If it went all the way around the shift tube and is settled in the bottom of the housing it probably won't interfere with anything but you'll have to bypass the NSS unless you have another one you can install.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.