Bench Seat Foam and Upholstery Replacement

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

reeshard08

Bench Seat Foam and Upholstery Replacement

Post by reeshard08 »

I'm trying to find a vendor that manufactures replacement foam for the bench seat in my '71 F100 Custom. I pulled off the upholstery and foam a few years back and stored in the attic for a future project, but in the process of moving from Alabama to Washington, the materials magically disappears, so I have nothing to go off of. I have only found foam for the bottom, but nothing for the back. Any thoughts?

Also, any recommendations on upholstery? Moving to San Antonio in a few months and torn between buying a kit online or having a shop do it. Looking to go with an original look, not show quality though. It had the parchment color interior. Thanks!
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Bench Seat Foam and Upholstery Replacement

Post by Bullitt74 »

Haven't run across any replacement foam, but I would think it would be relatively easy for an upholsterer (or yourself) to build one off of a template. I'd recommend finding a another seat or borrow one for the template.

These guys make some decent-looking upholstery:

http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/stcabtr3.html
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

reeshard08 wrote:I'm trying to find a vendor that manufactures replacement foam for the bench seat in my '71 F100 Custom. I pulled off the upholstery and foam a few years back and stored in the attic for a future project, but in the process of moving from Alabama to Washington, the materials magically disappears, so I have nothing to go off of. I have only found foam for the bottom, but nothing for the back. Any thoughts?

Also, any recommendations on upholstery? Moving to San Antonio in a few months and torn between buying a kit online or having a shop do it. Looking to go with an original look, not show quality though. It had the parchment color interior. Thanks!
Since you don’t have the foam I would take it to a shop with a picture of the seat and have them redo the whole thing. I’ve had pretty good luck with letting the pros do it. You or your shop can get original material from these guys https://smsautofabrics.com/index.php
1972 F250 4x4 XLT stock but P.O. hacked
2010 F350 CC LB 4x4 stock
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I would take it to a professional. Somebody posted a beautiful bench on here a year or so ago. I could swear I saved it but can't find it anywhere. It was done in black and had a raised section in the middle. Just enough to be noticeable. Anybody else remember it or have the photo? To the owner, you know who you are, post it up if you're still on the forums.
Last edited by sargentrs on Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

For the foam, I went to an upholstery shop and bought a chunk of foam, then cut it down myself (back and bottom). No, it definitely won't win any trophies, but it keeps me bum cushy.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Pegtop

Post by Pegtop »

Just redid my bench seat a few weeks ago. I bought the bench cover material along with the foam for the seat back from LMC (they seem to only sell the seat back foam, not the actual seat foam, which it sounds like you have anyway). The whole thing was really easy to do and the end result was great. Perfect fit and good quality materials. I was very happy with how it turned out. The kit also comes with the ring pliers and everything. Check out the photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Montreal, QC Canada
1972 F-100 Ranger 4x4 360 cid C6
1992 Mustang LX 5.0
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

Wow that looks fantastic! Nice job! I dropped mine off last week to get it recovered professionally because they quoted me less than what it was gonna cost me to order the stuff from lmc. How much did it cost you total to do? Excellent job though!
dave1972

Post by dave1972 »

Buy a rear seat out of a 97crew cab. Pull the head rests. Unbolt the slide tracks and knock the studs out of the seat frame. Bolt your original slider tracks on. Take it to a shop and recover in material and pattern that is period correct. It will fit perfectly and no one will ever guess that it isn't original. Your back and butt will thank you!