Forest Service Truck Coyote Swap

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

miller

Re: Forest Service Truck Coyote Swap

Post by miller »

I decided to get the front clip put on to make sure I was fine with the placement of the lincoln front end. It looks good.The passenger side and drivers side measure a little bit off (1/2"), but so is the wheel alignment and front clip is just sitting up there. The wheel in the fender looks pretty good to me.Also the first crown vic rack I bought with tires , the rims are the same, but the tires are different sizes so that does not help the situation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
miller

Post by miller »

So my initial measurements of the f100 front center line taken off the shock towers with a plum bob and level were about 1/8" off from passenger to drivers side as measured from center of core support hole.Drivers @ 221/8", passenger @ 22". The square was also out a bit when measuring diagonal from core support. When I drilled my centering holes I split that difference and measured back from the edge of the front rivet hole evenly on both sides. What I found was if I measured from the next hole from the core support my initial measurements for center were perfectly square. With the new lincoln rack I am about an 1/8" out of square measuring from those holes. The centering pin is located 14.5" back from the rear edge of that hole. This is bothering me a bit so I figured I will chew on this for a while. My centering holes are not to full size yet so my thought is to fudge the passenger 1/16" to the front and the drivers the same to the rear which would be about the same as I found it and make it square.My guess is they would have been fine with 1/8" or so out of square in the factory. Its hard to tell on this old truck maybe it hit a couple trees along the wayLOL.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

That looks really good for centering the wheel in the fender!
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Good work and thanks for posting your detailed measurements and thought process! 8)
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
miller

Post by miller »

Thanks! Purchased new lower control arm bushings and re indexed bushing by cutting welds on both sides and re welding. In the first picture it shows how the bushing were purchased. They are this way because the frame section where they mount is at a 45 degree angle and on the ford they will mount flat with the lower part of the frame. I have attached picture of how bushing was mounted to Lincoln frame. Center to center was 32 5/8" on the lincoln in between lower control arms -center of both bolts.
miller

Post by miller »

I have the original 2007 lincoln motor mounts that bolted up to the 5.0 f150 coyote block however they will not mount to the lincoln frame due to oil pan clearance hitting the frame. It needs to go back at least 2 inches. So fabbed up some mounts with the old steel I removed from the original ford front end. It is very crowded on the Left hand side with alternator, power steering rack lines and oil filter housing. Going to be a bit of a challenge!
miller

Post by miller »

Here are some pictures with the new mounts installed. With moving the motor back 2.5" from the original lincoln rack engine mount location the oil filter housing contacts the power steering rack. Going to come forward and up 1/4". Hopefully these will work once in the truck, just have to see how it all fits. I like the idea of using the original rack engine mounts, but not sure how high I would need to go with original oil pan. Trying to use what I have, I know there a lot of options, but they all cost!
miller

Post by miller »

Lincoln crown vic crush tube measurements.
miller

Post by miller »

lincoln crown vic crush tube length.
miller

Post by miller »

Drilled all mounting holes and got it bolted into place. I am going to weld the crush tubes tomorrow.
miller

Post by miller »

Decided not to weld today, but instead get some serious eye candy. I put the motor in. I had to cut out a considerable amount of the front cab mount crossmember. The mounts I made worked good. I am sitting 2.25" back and 1/2" up from the original lincoln rack location. The tranny oil pan hit the crossmember so it had to be cut. I really like how the engine is sitting. I did bring it forward to the original lincoln mount location to see how it would be and it was too far forward and too high in my opinion.Its currently tucked back pretty tight to firewall. Still a lot to consider, but I think this will work. Also I am happy with the room at the power steering rack. There is a bit more room to work with .
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

You're making great progress!! Thanks for the update. 8)
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
Mercury100

Post by Mercury100 »

Check out Hackster’s build with the coyote. He seems to have a lot of answers
Mercury100

Post by Mercury100 »

Check out Hackster’s build with the coyote. He seems to have a lot of answers
miller

Post by miller »

I look at both his builds often. His builds inspired this one!!