I need help bad.

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
Crazy_B

I need help bad.

Post by Crazy_B »

I drove my truck home from worked the other day and when I looked in my mirror when I slowed down I realized I had a brake light out. Thats simple replace the bulb right? Wrong. I checked the ground it was ok. then they both started working. for a minute then the passenger side quit working and the drivers side started working. My dad said that he would work on it today while I was at school. So I told him to take the instrument panel out and follow the wire off the brake pedal to the spot where it joins the main harness and the emergency flasher. He did but he couldn't find anything and he couldn't ever get them to both work at the same time it was either one or the other. When I got home from work it was dark but I went out there to look things over. I stepped on the brake pedal and they were both working. Then I let off and hit it again and they were still working. After about three times the drivers side quit working and now its just the passenger side. I figure there is a short somewhere, but I was curious if anyone else has had this problem. The brake light switch wouldn't make it do this would it? I don't think so but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
I've always been crazy but it keeps me from going insane.
When life gets you down remember one thing. Its only a Highway so pull your Hat down tight and just Ledoux it.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

just a couple of guesses. check the sockets that the bulb goes into. and check the lead on the bottom of the bulbs. also check under the truck on the frame rail at about mid truck and check if the wires are bad there. right aroung where a camper special would have its wiring branch off. also if you have trailer lights check that wiring also. the brake switch might be bad but i would think it would quit all at once if it was. and are you sure the ground is good. it may have rust under it that you can't see.
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: I need help bad.

Post by Leadfoot »

from my experience its the signal selector switch. And it's the biggest pain in the ass to fix. you can test this by wiggling the signal switch back and forth with your foot on the brake. they crack and the points in them war out :cry:
are your cab mounts bad? normally this happens then the steering shaft has lots of force placed on it.
hope its just a bad ground good luck!
WHAT ?
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

I had something like that happen....kept having to replace the fuses and finally I just replaced the cam and wiring that was with it....works great now.
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
fordhombre

Post by fordhombre »

I had a left turn signal coming on with the right turn signal when I signal right. I looked for a couple of days to find where I'd crossed wires, but it turns out I hadn't.

The ground between the bed (stepside), the chrome bracket, and the bolts that hold it in were rusty and bad. Sometimes the ground would show good, so i thought it was all right. But once I got after it with a wire brush and some new screws and bolts, it never happened again.

Those grounds can do some tricky things if not working right.
it's a 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 automobile!
qman

Post by qman »

99.9% of the time, it's the turn signal switch. They're about $60-70 and easy to swap out. What happens is that the connectors and moving parts just wear out or bend or whatever and then you get intermittent problems with your tail lights and blinkers. My truck did the same thing yours did. It all went away when I replaced the switch.
72 F100 2wd 360 C6 Custom w/factory PS.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

If the turn cancel isn't working, 99% sure it would be the turn signal switch in the column. All the lights that blink - turn, emergency flashers, and brake - go through the switch. It is about an hours work, or 2 or 3 if you're slow like me, to remove and replace. Remove one wire at a time from the connector with small, narrow probe or screwdriver and then put new wire in. Should be 7 wires, including the horn. Another thing to check is the brake switch on the brake pedal. They go bad and stick. Replace it, it is relatively inexpensive.