Power Steering - 69 F250

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

eandaauto

Power Steering - 69 F250

Post by eandaauto »

I have a 69 F-250, with the bendix power steering box. My steering is out of control..any bump sends me across the highway. Plus I'm used to the steering on my 98 f150. Don't think I'll ever get that kind of steering out of my 69, but since I'm going to need a new box, I wanted to get some suggestions on good steering setups. Whats better between the ford and bendix boxes? Also, I am interested in hearing about any custom steering setups that could work for the truck. [/b]
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Power Steering - 69 F250

Post by willowbilly3 »

I think the bendix box came out first on the 65 with the first I beam. I thought the ended in 68 as I have sen 68s both ways. This is the first 69 I have heard of with one.
Any 2wd box through 79 should work with the proper companion parts as Keith mentioned.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
eandaauto

Post by eandaauto »

She's an odd truck. Previous owner also changed it to a one ton rear suspension. The guy was kinda running a backyard junkyard...so he probably pulled the box off one of the other ford trucks he had out there. Real strange characters.
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

must be nice to have power steering my 69 is the bottom end, no p/s manual brakes, etc Mines odd too the color is burnt orange and the color code H appears no where in the shop manual for 1969 :?
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

When I was ia kid there was another (older) kid that got a new Ford F-100 in that burnt orang color. It was also the only Farm and Ranch special I have ever seen. I think it even had oak side boards.
I am not sure what they used for a code when they did it but Ford had a whole slew of special order colors. I remember a Ford salesman telling me that. Maybe they just came with no code because I remember him telling me they were a body man's nightmare. I remember one pink one with that fake vinyl top. It came new that color.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
eandaauto

Post by eandaauto »

Yeah I have the manual brakes...those are getting changed soon. As for the power steering, right now I wish I had manual....but It looks like I'm going to be changing it over to the ford box.
crazy larry

Post by crazy larry »

lol, i'll swap you two manual boxes for your power set up.... lol

Thats the best article i've seen on PS for Ford trucks. KUDOS.

and I'll bet you'd be really surprised at the difference new bushings and kingpins will make on a thirty year old truck.
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes