The Ranger XLT Misses HRPT 2019 and Gets Ready For Power Tour 2021

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

DuckRyder

Re: The Ranger XLT Gets Ready For Power Tour 2019

Post by DuckRyder »

1972 (67-72) Ford F100 2WD CalTracs 7610

These include a Square U-Bolt kit

Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
timachone

Post by timachone »

That looks great and solid- will hold a lot!

Congratz :thup:
Tim :drive:

1970 Ford F250 360 FE 2V C6
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V 4-speed
2012 Ford S-Max 2.0 EB AT
2017 Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo MT
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Thanks guys.

Got to take it for a short drive yesterday. Traffic not good so I didn’t get to dao any real launches, but if does hook up, and the rear tends to lift and not squat when you are on it.

Best part is that 90% of the infernal squeaking is gone... (the remainder is likely the bed because of the front crossmember)

Not sure you can tell, but the rear shackle bushings were really worn, to the point that on the left side the inner sleeve had fractured leaving a strip sinking into the rubber along with the bolt. I also think it gained a little ride height (but didn’t take before and after measurements) due to the bushings.

Gotta figure out what to do on the front edge where the rear springs contact the shackle/rocker. Seems there is supposed to be a sort of metal clip there that is completely gone on both sides.
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Blue_Streak

Post by Blue_Streak »

DuckRyder

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into this when I get to that point. Nice to hear that it does hook up for you. Looking forward when you can get into some real launches away from traffic. Be interested to hear what she does. Thanks again
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

So, had some time today.

Went to Harbor Freight and picked up a 49.95 20LB media blaster and a bag of fine coal slag at Tractor Supply.

First - everything that say in the negative reviews of this blaster is basically true, legs are a joke, valves are sketchy, have to shake it...

Still it beat the fool out of a flap wheel and a grinder.

Got some self etching Primer:

Got some paint:

You know how your wife is always saying wear gloves?

It is not a bad idea.

Robert

popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Glad to hear things worked out with the Cal Tracs! Hopefully next time your out, there's less traffic and you can really put them to the test. :thup:
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Put them back on.

I did get a little bit of overspray on the tires, most of it came off with a scrub, will work on the rest.

Little bit on the fence about this color.

Color is supposed to be 1972 Ford Truck Code 6, Bahama Blue. It looks lighter than the engine compartment and fire wall, and much lighter than the old paint showing under the peeling repaint. It does look similar to some other photos. It looks closer to what I remember Grabber Blue looking like which is not a bad thing.

I will put the hubcaps back on before we leave on HRPT so only the outer rim will show.

On to the Cal Tracs. It hooks up, it will spin if you beat on it but there is no drama, no bounce, no hop. They are narrow tires so this doesn’t surprise me much.

Where it used to chirp 2nd leaving out of the ‘hood unless you really soft pedaled it at the shift and would chirp third if you nailed it, it will no longer chirp 3rd and doesn’t chirp 2nd leaving out (in fact I’m not sure it will chirp 2nd at all)

So, Cal Tracs are DuckRyder approved.
Robert

timachone

Post by timachone »

That's a great look with the painted wheels - can't wait to see it with hubcaps on :thup:

What did such harm to your hands? The blasting sand???

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

timachone wrote:That's a great look with the painted wheels - can't wait to see it with hubcaps on :thup:

What did such harm to your hands? The blasting sand???
Thanks, might paint the black on the hubcaps, or might save that for later. Still have to do those mirrors and times short.

On my hand, the blaster has like 4 ball valves on it, you have to turn two of them off before disconnecting the compressor hose. If you don’t do them both it shoots media back out the connection. It is inconvenient. I’ve got to look at it and see if I can change the way it works, it needs a single shut off so you can turn one valve and disconnect.
Robert

timachone

Post by timachone »

Ok, I understand... So you had luck you was not even more harmed than that. That pressure could be something violent sometimes...

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Well so how’d I do on the list?

1) Fix brakes while converting to disc from a 73/74 F100.
Needs:
Spindles (got them)
Calipers (got them)
King pins and bushings (got them)
Pads (got them)
Caliper kits (got them)
Brakes hoses (got them)
Drag link, tie rod ends, adjuster sleeve (got them)
Radius rod and I beam bushings - poly (got them)
Paint (got it)
Adjustable proportioning valve (got it)

DONE

2) Rebuild 9”, paint reinstall
Needs:
Eaton Detroit Truetrac (got it)
CalTracs
Bearings
Rear spring bushings - poly
Paint

DONE

3) Fix bed cross member and cab cross member.
Needs:
Patch panels for cab cross member (got them)
Patches for bed cross member (will probably have to make them)
Welder
Paint

Added: paint rest of frame while bed off.

Moved to 2020

4) Interior/AC
Needs:
Daunting... everything... :(

Added:
TMI: Seats, blue comfort weave, Carpet, headliner, door panels dash pad.
Vintage air sure fit
Retrosound RetroRadio™ M5F
Dakota Digital HDX

Moved to 2020

5) More street oriented wheels and tires
?

Moved to 2020 Kinda thinking American Salt Flat Specials again or maybe Ansen Sprint in a larger staggered size

Hopefully 2020 will get painted too, but that’s pretty ambitious both from a time and money stand point.
timachone wrote:Ok, I understand... So you had luck you was not even more harmed than that. That pressure could be something violent sometimes...
Yeah, it could have been worse. My own fault though, I knew how it worked but I just forgot while in a hurry... :oops:

In other news gotta order a brake booster and the mirrors are soaking, maybe Sunday on them...

Once the booster and mirrors are installed, it is just time to go over everything in an attempt to make sure it’s ready... :pray: :drive:
Robert

Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Wow...just catching up after my hiatus...some excellent work here, and lots of ideas :pop: :bow: :drool:

Maybe after you get yours painted, we could trade and I’ll finish your trim and interior, and you could give my drivetrain the HRPT upgrades? :D
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Bullitt74 wrote:Wow...just catching up after my hiatus...some excellent work here, and lots of ideas :pop: :bow: :drool:

Maybe after you get yours painted, we could trade and I’ll finish your trim and interior, and you could give my drivetrain the HRPT upgrades? :D
Sounds like a deal :P I did mention I starting on this in about 2002 right? :lol:

Started on the Mirrors, of course one of the long pieces of all thread broke and no one in town has stainless. So I’m compiling another McMaster-Carr order.

Really not sure how I’m going to deal with the large dimpled washers, they are both broken.

I’m feeling like I am going to be pretty un prepared for this trip there have been a lot of things requiring my time and taking away from truck time.

Including the Honda.

I went ahead with the big service (timing belt and oil pump seal) which turned into a two weekend and most of the week in-between project from a one weekend project because I discovered we had hit something along the way and pretty severely damaged the condenser and radiator, and had to straighten the lower tie bar and condenser mount. We’ve been going back and forth on replacing the Honda as well so have done some car looking. After deciding which car we wanted, getting a price on one has proved to be rather difficult, but I think we have the car bought and it will probably be following along on power tour.
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I’m trying to understand the swing lock mechanism here.

I think the large washer (17B745) had 4 holes, 2 engaged the plate with pins (17B744), the other two I think might have had ball bearings in them and are just really worn and rusted.

I can get oversized washers from McMaster-Carr, and I can probably manage to drill 4 holes in them at roughly the right place...

Anyone have some in better shape to explain?

I also think I may be able to eliminate the swing lock and just have fixed mirrors... :?
Robert

Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Some pics of mine:

Does this help?