Calling out to the ones that have done the 460 swap thing

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

prostreetjim

Calling out to the ones that have done the 460 swap thing

Post by prostreetjim »

I'm putting my 460 and body on a new frame that is suppose to be a 68 frame. I got the correct towers and mount along with a supposid correct 460 c6 trans crossover. The towers seem to only go on one way, I put the motor in today and the motor does not set level, looks like the trans crossover is like 3 inches lower than the one I had and the holes in the frame to mount the thing dont match up also now my drive shaft is about 2 inches too long. I'm wondering if the frame is not a 68 although it does have 68 on the serial #. I'm woundering what else is not going to fit, putting the cab on Sunday. Has anyone else had problems or is it me :cry: :? One last thing I going to put headers on it, understand 73-79 work has anyone put a set on, how did they work out and want them to go above the crossover thanks in advance for any helpful info
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Calling out to the ones that have done the 460 swap thin

Post by Hawkrod »

I am not staring at any of my trucks right now but what I can tell you is your old trans crossmember should have worked just fine and not all crossmembers are the same. You must use one for you model of truck. There are actually several different ones and they are the same width but some sit higher and some hang down. When I was doing the swap in my 61 this fact saved my bacon as I needed a slight drop and an F350/CrewCab mount from a 75 was perfect as it sits 2 inches lower than an F150/F250 crossmember! The trans crossmember is not transmission specific, that means a 4 speed, a Cruisomatic or a C6 use the same one in most model years. The driveshaft can be a different length depending on what came out versus what is going in, there are a quite a few different lengths. You need to tell use what you started with and where you got your specific parts. Are you trying to use the driveshaft from a later 460 truck in your truck? If you are then it will be too long for sure. Are you using a C6 from a truck or a car and if it is a car one which length is it? Post your complete serial number so we can tell you what year the frame is. The year is not listed in the number so if it has a 68 in it that is not the year. As far as the engine stands go, they can be mounted in two spots (not all holes will line up though). The bigger mount goes on the drives side and the smaller one on the passenger side. Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
prostreetjim

Post by prostreetjim »

Well this is what I done to get everything to fit, with the drive line. I moved the smaller tower on the passenger side to the front holes, it lines up with factory holes, on the drivers side I was able to use one of the bottom holes and drilled the other 3. now the trans crossover lines up with the factory holes and the drive shaft will fit now. so I'm going to see if the body going to line up my Ser# on the frame for the what I can see looks like F1CYEP63681 IF any can tell by looking what year it is.
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Hawkrod »

If that serial number is correct you have a 72. Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed