timing/overflow. video & picture.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Bonnie_72_F100

timing/overflow. video & picture.

Post by Bonnie_72_F100 »

So, I have a timing light now (borrowed from a friend). I have not used it yet...

I put the distributor in so that the rotor button was right on/under the #1 on the cap at the same time that the white line timing marker was right in line with the (for lack of a technical name), black triangle marker.

She started! Did not run very smoothly (definitely could improve upon timing) but she started and ran!

The problem that made me stop before I could start tinkering with the timing light is I had a MASSIVE overflow of gas from the carb (front two holes). I've tried to post a video of the overflow here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QziT9gqXib0

If that doesn't work [or is too dark], the attached picture should have arrows on it that show where the gas was POURING out of. Does anyone know the root cause of this problem??

Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
convincor
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: timing/overflow. video & picture.

Post by convincor »

floats stuck open.
68 Custom Cab Shorty, 390, C6, 9"-3.50:1 Currie T/L
"Still Plays With Trucks"
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/convincor/F100/
convincor
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by convincor »

also, just something to help on the timing.
If you have #1 wire just to the right of the rear cap clip, and when setting the timing with #1 at TDC, if you align the rotor with the clip it sets you right about at 10* BTDC.
Bonnie_72_F100

Re: re: timing/overflow. video & picture.

Post by Bonnie_72_F100 »

convincor wrote:also, just something to help on the timing.
If you have #1 wire just to the right of the rear cap clip, and when setting the timing with #1 at TDC, if you align the rotor with the clip it sets you right about at 10* BTDC.
Thanks for the good advice! I'll try to get closer to 10* BTDC.

How do you unstick a stuck float? Can I get to that tank via the two screws on the top of the carb? Is there a seal there that may need to be replaced? This carb is a "new" remanufactured and really shouldn't have a stuck float... (?) :?

Thanks!
prostreetjim

Post by prostreetjim »

Sometimes you can tap on the side of the carb, may take a little more than a tap. has worked for me in the past :2cents:
convincor
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by convincor »

be a while since i rebuilt a 2V but I believe there's 4 screws hold the top on the carb.
Try knock'n on the side of the carb with the butt of a screw driver. Float could just have got stuck open during shipping.
But if the carb is new exchange it for another.
If you end up opening it up, there is a gasket there but it should come apart and be reusable. Just be carefull with it.
Bonnie_72_F100

Post by Bonnie_72_F100 »

you are CORRECT! I undid those 4 screws and had full & easy access to the float, which absolutely was stuck! A quick jab to it set it free!

I also set the rotor button to closer to 10* BTDC and she's running steady!

Jamie - if you stumble upon this thread, I'm still getting some residual smoke from ... somewhere? White. Doesn't smell like donkey b*tt (burning oil or fuel) and tends to start up/flare up once I stop running the engine - I know smoke is bad so I'm being careful not to run it too long.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

Did you spill anything on the engine when you were working on it?? If i understand correctly your seeing smoke from the engine when its stopped
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yeah, reading a bit. FYI, the PO appears to have found the truck, done a bit of work on it and sold it. The valve covers have been changed and the smoke is coming from the crusties near the spark plug pockets which makes me think it's engine degreaser from the valve cover gasket work. When I got to look at it a couple weeks ago it would start right up and ran decent for about five minutes, then shut off and would not fire off (timing light stopped working as well). Thought it might have been the condensor (One of my '68 fairlanes did the exact same thing years ago). The dist cap index slot was broken out and the vacuum advance was blown so I suggested getting another dizzy with a new cap and rotor.

Sounds like your making progress. Next up tranny?

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Bonnie_72_F100

Post by Bonnie_72_F100 »

what's the function of the 'condensor' and how would that make it shut off a few minutes? I will look into that more!

Yes - new dist installed & working well (as far as I can tell). Still seems to run for only a few minutes then putter out though. When I can run it for 4+ minutes, when I shut it off, I get that smoke.

Next up is bleeding the brake system and/or replacing the MC. This will need to be done regardless of if there's an issue there or not because it sat so long. If she doesn't roll after that.... .... you've guessed it. Tranny.