piecing together an A/C

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: piecing together an A/C

Post by FORDification »

Hmmmm....so you're going for the vintage look then, like I am? You don't like the underdash unit in that setup? I think I'd just look around a little bit more. Those vintage setups come through E-bay all the time, usually for less than $100 + shipping. You'd still have to replace a couple components on it though, I'm sure....like the hoses, dryer and condensor. I've never personally messed with those Sanden compressors, but it appears as if it's set up for a serpentine belt, so with the kit you're looking at you'd also have to find a way of adapting a v-belt pulley to it. It seems like a nice setup, but I think you'd be happier finding something else that's complete and will be more of a bolt-on setup, as opposed to all the modifications you'd have to make to this one.

:2cents:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
shortbedCUSTOM
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by shortbedCUSTOM »

well, I'm in the process of converting the engine to a serpentine drive anyway, so that's not an issue. I really like and want a stock unit but I would convert it to a Sanden compressor. I'm gonna take your advice and hit a couple of salvage yards this weekend and see what I can find.

You have any leads on one???? :D

Carlos

this is the one I really like. any tips on what year models to look for this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

That's a slightly newer style that would probably be more likely to be found in early-70s trucks. The late-60s trucks had boxier units, for the most part. Like I said, these do come through ebay fairly frequently, at least several times each month, so unless you're in a major hurry, I'd be willing to bet you could keep your eyes open there and score something nice. I've even seen some NOS units (never installed) come through, though they obviously get a bit more than a junkyard setup.

Plus I'd suggest making a post in the Parts Wanted section with the lead-in "Underdash dealer A/C wanted" or something along those lines. I know there are junkyards or parts dealers who specifically watch that area of the forum to see if anyone wants something they can supply.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
shortbedCUSTOM
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: piecing together an A/C

Post by shortbedCUSTOM »

FORDification wrote:That's a slightly newer style that would probably be more likely to be found in early-70s trucks. The late-60s trucks had boxier units, for the most part. Like I said, these do come through ebay fairly frequently, at least several times each month, so unless you're in a major hurry, I'd be willing to bet you could keep your eyes open there and score something nice. I've even seen some NOS units (never installed) come through, though they obviously get a bit more than a junkyard setup.

Plus I'd suggest making a post in the Parts Wanted section with the lead-in "Underdash dealer A/C wanted" or something along those lines. I know there are junkyards or parts dealers who specifically watch that area of the forum to see if anyone wants something they can supply.

ok, I think I might take your advice and wait and see what I can find. so, basically what you're saying is that all I need is the under dash unit. RIGHT? And that lines and dryer will most likely need replacing so those parts are really not important. CORRECT?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Right. However, if you can get the entire setup pretty inexpensively, I'd do it. Why? Well, it'll be nice to mock up an entire setup, to make sure you've got all the correct brackets, hoses, clamps, etc. I'll be doing the same thing....that is, installing a complete setup using junkyard parts that will eventually need replaced. Since I'll probably need some hoses custom-made to mate the compressor with my underdash unit, I can cobble the hoses together just for mounting/appearance sake. Once I have the correct length figured out, I can then just take that pieced-together set of hoses in to have them replicated with new parts.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

LMC lists one similar to that on page 112 of their 2004 winter catalog. Part number 49-3880 for 349.95. Just for comparison. If you don't have a catalog, I can scan it so you can see it.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
shortbedCUSTOM
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: piecing together an A/C

Post by shortbedCUSTOM »

trukcrazy wrote:LMC lists one similar to that on page 112 of their 2004 winter catalog. Part number 49-3880 for 349.95. Just for comparison. If you don't have a catalog, I can scan it so you can see it.
8) thanks for the tip.
shortbedCUSTOM
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by shortbedCUSTOM »

ok everyone, IF and WHEN I find the unit I want to use, how do I test it to see if it's any good? I'm under the assumption that as long as the fan runs it should be good. Right?
71Ford

Post by 71Ford »

I recently spent $700 and went w/ r13 first...The next day my old compressor started to go out and leaked all the r13 out......
The next week I got new adaptors, Compressor/Clutch, Drier and went w/r134.....I dont find it very cold. I see frost inside the vents, but I don't feel cold.....I'm really disappointed because the coolness ends about 6 inches from the AC vents. I saw in the previous post about something called FreeZone. I went to their website and am optimistic again. It seems that when it's 100 degrees outside my current system makes the PU Cab feel 90.

I really hope the FreeZone works.

Shawn
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... p?pos=-851

71 XLT RANGER ->203,000+MILES/NOT REBUILT

99 GMC 4x4 Suburban, 94 Saturn 200k, 03 Chev Venture
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

These truck cabs are definitely not the most airtight, so to maintain a cool temperature you might have to spend some time sealing up all the little places that let in the outside air. If your cab's weatherstripping is failing, that's the first thing to replace. Otherwise, other things to consider are the firewall holes...there will probably be a few of them that aren't being used and aren't sealed up...or aren't sealed very well. Also, the rear cab corners aren't sealed tight to allow for drainage, but they also allow outside air to come in. Also, the cable-operated heater valve (to the heater hose) does not completely stop the flow of heated coolant to the cab. For summertime use, it might be a better idea to just bypass the heater core for the season.

...just some ideas to consider. :)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
71Ford

Post by 71Ford »

Keith-

Thank you so much for the info. about how to get my A/C to cool better. Today I bypassed the heater core like you suggested, and the drivers side vent(next to the parking brake release) has always let air in, even when in the closed position. I took it out and covered the back of the vent with two plastic bags and duct tape...the reinstalled it. I drove the truck around and it made a world of differrence. Thank you so much for reminding me about the heater core hose.......I forgot about the day the old compressor broke freon escaped......I could feel warm air coming out the middle vent but I thought that when the AC was fixed it'd have some kinda heat stopping sensor or something....I didn't realize that the AC air and the heater core air were battling each other.

Thank you

Shawn
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... p?pos=-851

71 XLT RANGER ->203,000+MILES/NOT REBUILT

99 GMC 4x4 Suburban, 94 Saturn 200k, 03 Chev Venture
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Glad I could help. :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Every time I think I've seen about every variety of vintage dealer-installed A/C setup, I run across another one. This one's listed on Ebay. The seller says it was removed from a '69, but it took me several minutes checking it out to find out how it even fits....I mean, it's such a wierd configuration. Then it dawned on me....this one appears to be set up to use the stock truck's blower motor! Interesting idea.

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
flyflinger

Post by flyflinger »

I just scored a parts truck that has an A/c unit in it. The compressor is set for v belt but was not hooked up. It also has controls built into the regular vent/ fan controls. I assume this was a factory setup???? It has a slider under the unit to switch from Heater to Def/AC. Is there an easy way to test the compressor and the rest of the unit to determine if it works?
68 F100 360 C6 4X2
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

If the controls are built in like that, I would say you have a factory set up.
I don't know how you would test the compresor without hooking it up and charging the system, though.
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I on this subject will be along shortly to help you, though.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html