valve cover gaskets

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

reflectionpoint

Re: valve cover gaskets

Post by reflectionpoint »

mnagatani wrote:thermostat to block
This is the only other gasket I've replaced beside my manifold/header gasket which is a whole different topic. I used the paper style with a thin film of silicone designed to be used as waterpump/thermostat gasket sealer. Forget exactly what it was, but it was Permetex brand.
michael69 wrote::? Why do you smear grease on them? Does that just help save gasket when removing cover again? :hmm:
Yes, basically. It also helps to condition the rubber. They'll dry out just like your ten year old tires, but that little bit of grease/motor oil will help to keep them 'fresh'?. Also it serves the purpose of making for easy removal..unlike sealing cork to the cover and having to scrape it off and replace it before putting your covers back on. That was why I opted for rubber because of all the cuss words I used in taking the cork off with a scraper.. my stamped (power by ford) covers have indents where the bolts go in and made using a scraper difficult and time consuming.

For those of you who will mention using a wire-wheel or other power-assisted device.. I don't have those luxury things as of yet so that's where I'm coming from on this topic, hahaha.. long live the poor man!

-~Eric
Life's a beach.. then you get swimming lessons.
--'72 F102 LWB, RWD, 390 FE, C6, 3.50 Open 9", Current Project.
--'63 F350 LWB, RWD, 390 FE, T18, 5.13 Open D70, future car-hauler.
--'94 Explorer Limited, 4x4, 4.0 Cologne, Auto, 3.73 LS 8.8", Kid Hauler
--'93 Dodge LWB, 4x4, 12v Cummins, Manual, 4.10 Open D60/D70, Newest member. :-)
Doug Comer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Doug Comer »

Well.... I've never worked for Ford. I've used rubber and cork and they still leak :lol: I like the grease tip with the cork. I just might try that next time. Doug
1967 f100 4x4
1970 f250 4x4
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

mnagatani wrote:As we are talking about valve cover gaskets, Id like to know what others are using for the following:

Water pump to block gaskets
thermostat to block
fuel pump to block gasket
oil filter mount to block gasket

I'm getting new all for these and I hear different takes on the best way to assemble them back.

Thanks all

Mike
any treated paper gaskets get a thin coating of High-Tack, or Copper Coat (both sides) Allow to tack...about 5-10 min & assemble. Paper or cork thermostat gasket gets a THIN coating of Ultra Black. Both sides, as above. Not saying it's perfect, but it works for me
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------