460 to 360 swap

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

robertrobl

460 to 360 swap

Post by robertrobl »

im converting a 72 f 100 long bed to a 4 wheel drive and need to know if it can be done easy or hard as in the 4 wheel drive is out of a 77 xlt and came with a 460. the current engine in the 72 is a 360. i need to know if itll go or if ill have to buy another tranny for it to work whichj is a bit hard to find in these hills.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: 460 to 360 swap

Post by FORDification »

The FE engines (352/360/390/428) have a different bellhousing pattern than the 429/460 engines, so you'd definitely have to find another transmission.

As for converting a 2WD to 4WD, it's NOT an easy task...but then again, anything can be done with the proper amount of time and money. However, I'd have to strongly suggest you considering mounting the '72 body onto the '77 frame and drivetrain (instead of doing all the fabrication necessary to convert the '72 2WD frame to 4WD.) Everything will bolt right on to the '77.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

I don't think the cab would bolt right on to the 77 frame, because the 2wd and 4wd floors are different.... probably would have to install a lift kit.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

There is no difference between 2WD and 4WD cabs. They are identical. From what I understand the attachment points on the '67-'72 cabs are also identical to the '73-'79 cabs, so bolting them on should be relatively painless.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

maybe i was thinking of a chevy cab....... :hmm: oh well thanks for the info!
bryantracing460

Post by bryantracing460 »

Welcome to the forums. Project sounds cool. "anything to do with a 460" :D

Just curious, what part of Tennessee you from?
Jeremy
Drive It Like You Stole It.........NO FEAR!
69 F-100 swb 2wd 460 C-6. 86 F-150 super cab 2wd 302 AOD.85 Bronco 4wd 300 AOD.
http://www.myspace.com/bryantracing460
robertrobl

Post by robertrobl »

is thereany way to possibly replace the bell housing itself due to the fact a 4 wheel drive tranny alone is like trying to find hens teeth. never come to this part of the south near knoxville every old timer and whoever owns one won't let go of a ford part for their life. i've been fortunate enough to find them thank god for wives who hate the trucks.
robertrobl

Post by robertrobl »

the work would be worth it to me its gonna be a slow project but its gonna be good when im thru. i prefer to take my time and enjoy the fact im making my new toy.
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

You could always build an adapter for the other tranny, but I agree that it would be best to find another tranny. This is not going to be an easy project, and it will take some time, so you should have time to search.
As for swapping the parts to the later model frame, I agree that would be easier, but still take some work. '73 and later trucks have frames that are around 4" longer and you either need to re-center the rear axle in the wheel well or live with a huge gap between the bed and cab. The back of the frames are a bit wider too, but no big deal drilling new mounting points.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Standard or automatic tranny? Since the 77 4x4 nevet came with a 460 anyway, it was probably originally a 351m-400. And if you have access to the whole truck, why not just use the T-case that's in it?
I bolted a 72 body onto a 76 F-150 4x4 frame once and it isn't real difficult. It seems like the cab and core support all bolted right up. We had to carve out the drivers side inner fender to clear the power steering box. Also the diference in bed mounting is an issue. I think the two holes at the very back lined up. Then we just cut some angle iron to snugly fit inside the frame and drilled holes in it to use the existing holes in the bed. These could be welded in place but we didn't. After the bolts are tightened the frame rail lip is the sanwiched between the angle iron and the bed and it isn't moving. Redrilling the holes in the bed would also require welding the pipe inner support in each hole or the bolts will just pull through the floor tin. Now this does leave the wheels 2 inches rearward off center in the wheel opening. Centering the wheels in the opening leaves the extra two inches in gap between the cab and bed. There is no simple way to deal with this. I think the easiest would be to have a good sheet metal man just cut out the bed sides around the wheel opening and reposition them back. It would probably be easiest if you had another bed to cut up. Or you could find a stepside bed and just reposition the fenders.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.