FI Fuel Lines

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Alfred Lord Tenniscourt

FI Fuel Lines

Post by Alfred Lord Tenniscourt »

I am building a FI 300 for my 67 highboy and I have no idea what I should do with the fuel lines. The boneyard sent me some braided stainless lines that are hacked up pretty bad. It looks like there are quick connects of some kind on there, but I haven't been able to get them apart. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Is there an easy way to get this adapted to good, old steel lines that I can run to my pump and filter?
I know that there are several people who have done more or less the same conversion I am working on right now, how did you guys figure this out? Also, if anyone has any general comments about putting fuel injection in an old bump, I would love to hear them. I still have the engine on the stand, so I would be really grateful to anyone who can let me know if there are problems that I am going to run into.
Thanks,
A.L.T.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: FI Fuel Lines

Post by fordman »

those lines are a quick disconnect. they have a specail 5-10 tool you can buy to take them apart. they come apart pretty easily. rehooking the fi . you will need soem sort of high pressure fuel pump to pump the fuel to the fuel rail.
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Check your local autozone or advance auto (or similar). They have a good selection of E.F.I. stuff. I had to replace a kinked steel line on my dodge truck awhile back. Advance had some high burst fuel injection hose that we used in place of the steel line. I used the good (expensive) fuel injection rated hose clamps & its been fine for 4 months.

You might check with them & tell them what your doing. Im sure they have the stuff you need!! :thup:
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
Alfred Lord Tenniscourt

Cool. I am glad to hear that there is a tool for the quick connects. I was beginning to think that they were actually just a joint that would allow the lines to swivel and reduce wear at the spot where they hook up to the fuel rail.
Sometimes I wonder about Ford, the quick connects are going to cost me an extra half hour by the time I chase down a tool, I would have a slow disconnect taken apart in five minutes...
Do you guys recommend running a stock air box, or changing it up to a K&N or something? I have a feeling that stock will work just about as well, but I would like to put something on there that sits a little closer to the throttle body just to clean the engine compartment up a little...
Tonight I am going to pick up that quick connect tool, pull the lines apart, then get a good, clean cut on them. Then I should be able to splice them onto a fuel filter on one side, and a return line on the other.
I mounted a high pressure pump on the frame rail a little while ago. It looks pretty clean down there. I hope that the gravity feed from the in cab tank can keep up and there aren't any vapor lock issues, I am thinking it will be ok, because the pump is lower than the tank...
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

Lines...get what you can from the wrecking yard, as far back as possible. Napa has the fittings/connectors, etc. to make all of this work & appear factory. As for the airbox, i'd get something stock & drop a k&n filter in it.

but that's just me :2cents:
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
Alfred Lord Tenniscourt

Right on. I guess if I put the thing up and running on a $10.00 boneyard intake it won't be a very big tragedy if I want to switch it over to something else later. If I buy some $200.00 inlet system it would be kind of a tragedy if I took a look at it and thought "this is the same thing as a stock intake except it is shiny and has more stickers."
I managed to get the fuel lines cut nice and clean by rolling the whole engine stand over to the bench grinder and grinding through the stainless very carefully - so now I have clean ends with which to work at least. I am on the way down to the parts store now to see if they have the fittings to make it look/work right.
Does anyone know what kind of belt to get without a smog pump? I am actually a little worried about the bend radius around the alternator being a little too tight without the smog pump below it. I figure it will work, but will probably wear the belts out pretty quick. Has anyone had to mess with this?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

you have to take the old belt off of the smog pump releaase the tensioner from pull on the belt. then pull it it tight against the rest of the pullys. with the excess hangin up top. then mark what isn't used. take the belt off and take i tto the parts stroe and get oen thats the same size up to where you marked it at.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

You can run serp belts as tight a radius as you want. The fuel lines aren't stainless, they're just wrapped in a stainless sheath. The EFI fuel hose is a requirement on the pressure side, regular line will blow apart.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
Alfred Lord Tenniscourt

Thanks everyone. I found some "nylon hose menders" at the autozone. They are little steel pieces, barbed on both ends, but, the barbs are not sharp. They fit inside the lines just fine and I plan to put some high pressure hose clamps on them to hold everything in place. I am thinking I will put one on the edge, pretty much to hide the cut stainless and keep it from unraveling further, and another to be sure it won't blow apart.
The engine is starting to look like something that will move a truck and I am getting exited. I should have it in place physically by the end of the weekend, but it is going to take me a long, long time to get the wiring nice and tight.
Thanks again for your help,

- Mike