New set of screwdrivers

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Merlin68F100

New set of screwdrivers

Post by Merlin68F100 »

I'm doing a spring cleaning on the toolbox. My screwdriver drawer has seen better days. I have always been a Craftsman sort of dude, as was my dad. But I have a few ba$tard Klein's that I like pretty good. So how about it, If your screwdriver drawer was empty and you had enough beer tickets to buy what you wanted what flavor of screwdrivers would you buy?
"A point in every direction is the same as no point at all."
The Pointless Man
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: New set of screwdrivers

Post by fordman »

if i had to start over. i would get 2 of those 4 in one screwdrivers the red hadled ones. i would also get soem thin eletrical box screwdrivers atleat two of them. i would get one nice sized prying type of flat blade. two of the medium duty long reach type of screwdrivers no less than a 6 inch reach. 1 flat and one phillips minmum. a 9 inch reach if you can get them. and then other assorted medium length flat blades for prying and general stuff. you will also want or need sometime in the future one each of the phillips and flat in a short stubby kind.
Merlin68F100

Post by Merlin68F100 »

What brand?
The Pointless Man
Brokenarrow
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Brokenarrow »

I have a quite a few older Craftsman tools. I also have a brand set . IMO The newer Craftsman stuff doesn't compare to the old stuff. That being said if I were starting over and wanted quality screwsticks, Klein, Snapon/Bluepoint, would be my first choices :2cents:
'68 SWB f100, 401ci FE/C6, '68 Mustang fastback (restoration in progress)
2013 F150 KingRanch (ecoboost), '48 8N tractor

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
— John Wooden
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I have two sets of Snap-On, A set of Mac and two sets of Craftsman. You can never have too many screwdrivers...
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Yeah, I dont think I could ever have too many screwdrivers. I have been known to turn around in the middle of a busy highway to go back & pick one up off the side of the road. Finders keepers!

I have a mixed bag of tools, Snapon, Craftsman, Plumb, Ward's pow-r-craft, Kobalt, bla,bla bla.
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

alot of mine say japan china and tiawain. i also have sk craftsman blackhawk snapon mac and on and on. my screwdrivers are just whatever. no name brands.
fordwannabe

Post by fordwannabe »

I also have a drawer full of screwdrivers, but I was given a set of kobalts for Christmas, and so far I like them alot. They aren't snap on but thee price was around $30 for the set ,not per screwdriver. Tom
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

those goodwrench sets from o o o really's have served me well in the 4 yrs since i bought them--big fat black handles and a place to put a wrench on if need be :thup: :thup:

i bought 2 sets -- one for the shop and one to carry--the phillips have held up remarkably well-those always seem to be the first to take a strip on ya
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
BiggMike

Post by BiggMike »

I currently have a set of the Craftsman Contractors Series. I have had them for about 3 years and have had no problems. I just didn't want to pay the price of Snap On or Mac and they work just fine.
Mike

1968 F100 SWB project/parts
1969 F250 Ranger LWB 360/C6
1972 F250 4X4 Plow Truck LWB 360/4 Speed
1968 Fairlane 2Dr Coupe Project
1968 Mustang Coupe project, wifes car
Merlin68F100

Post by Merlin68F100 »

I went and filled the holes in my screwdriver needs with Kobalts. Not real happy with the finish on the shafts but at the rate I lose or distroy screw drivers the price was right.
The Pointless Man
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

hey--jimmie johnson wouldn't steer ya wrong :wink: --the kobalts i have--just a few, seem to be quality for the money :thup: :thup:
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
marxtoys

Post by marxtoys »

Sears is 30 miles away and the Snap-On man stops by once a week. and I bought 'em all from someone else 25 years ago and he still has to fix 'em.

:D

And I thought I had every dang screwdriver I would ever need.....

And then I got another old Honda to play with.....

And got back into all those cursed Philips-looking screws that would turn to shavings at the mere touch of a Philips screwdriver.....(although the cheesy little driver in the pouch under the seat fit quite nicely......)

And found out that they aren't Philips screws after all.

:doh:

It seems that our Asian friends have their own idea of how a cross-point screw/driver should be formed, and it aint Philips.

Looks like McMaster-Carr is going to get $14.05 plus freight for a set of four ((cat. #53325A41) sizes +1, +2, +3, +4) Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) cross-point screwdrivers, so I can stop mangling screws.

And that's going to be my new set of screwdrivers.

8)
"Knowledge is Good." Emil Faber
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

i have found stanley has great phillips heads on em....but i'd go back to sears :thup:
The Good Humor Man

Post by The Good Humor Man »

I remove a lot of stainless steel screws out of these GH trucks, and go thru a bunch of phillips head screw drivers. I like the craftsman 4 in one screwdrivers, BUT the handles crack under a lot of preasure, and by that pinch as it seperates and grabs on to the skin is a killer, but they do replace the screw drivers.
I found a Ace Hardware brand phillips head screw driver in one of my trucks I bought, now I find myself grabbing that one quite a bit, it fits the screw heads perfect, and the handle seems to give you a good amount of grip to it. I think when it gets time to buy a full set, I will look to ace hardware.
http://WWW.GoodHumorTrucks.Com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------