Filling cracks

Moderator: FORDification

fordloaf

Filling cracks

Post by fordloaf »

I have some small crack at the seams on the roof on my 67. Should i seal them and with what? Thanks.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Filling cracks

Post by jzjames »

I'll tell you what I did with mine which has had good results.
The seams on my 67 were still pretty good, but with the cracks from drying out - which lets the moisture get in there.
I put on my best pair of dimestore glasses and carefully sanded out all the seams on the roof/hood. Then with a small hobby brush I brushed in a line of POR 15 (scrubbed it in there good), and wiped off the overpaint with a rag. Wipe off the whole seam. After the POR 15 set up for a while I repeated for good measure! Sealed the seams great and I am hoping that telltale rust will not appear on those seams again for a long time. I did this process before paint, as it does leave a stain from the POR 15. jz
Jonathan Rickman

Post by Jonathan Rickman »

Any harm in filling all those seams and just blending the whole thing in? I've always been hesitant to do that because I'm unsure of how much those seams flex or if they need to for that matter.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Aren't they supposed to be like the bedside seams? filled with seem filler.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
Jonathan Rickman

Post by Jonathan Rickman »

Yeah, but I'm thinking about something a little more permanent involving welding and grinding.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

IIRC The seams are there so you can remove damaged panels. and spot weld new ones in. Good luck with anything you do to it. And watchout for warpage in the panels from the welding.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com