No more powdercoating for my truck parts

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

No more powdercoating for my truck parts

Post by FORDification »

Well, I called the powdercoaters today to arrange for me to drop off a whole truckload of parts to get coated, but got some very bad news. :(

It seems that the summer months are their busy time for commercial powdercoating (large scale, for businesses) and so they normally cut off doing smaller jobs for the general public. He estimated that they wouldn't be accepting items from the public until October or November!! :eek:

Dammit....time to regroup and rethink things. I guess now I'll be forced to do my own sandblasting and using POR-15 for everything I was hoping to powdercoat, like the inner fenderwells, battery tray, front swaybar and brackets, rear bumper brackets, etc. So I think tonight I'm going to go ahead and order a can of their reducer, so that I can still brush it on but have it lay down a little smoother, and not have a texture to it. Since I'm going to have to do my own blasting on some of the heavier items, I'm also going to order a bag of black silicon carbide from Eastwood, which is supposed to be much more agressive for rust removal than the silica sand I'm using now. Of course, it's also MUCH more expensive....can you say $72 for a 50-lb bag?

I was planning on spending the day in the shop on Saturday finally getting the bottom of the cab coated and then getting it bolted down, but have decided to attempt to spend the day going junkyarding instead. I've spotted a couple trucks in a couple larger U-Pull-Its nearby (from a distance) and want to go see what they've got. Hopefully NEXT weekend I'll get the chance to finish up the bottom of the cab. *knock on wood*
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: No more powdercoating for my truck parts

Post by FORDification »

Funny you should mention that, because I was actually thinking about that today, and was at the Eastwood website earlier checking it out. At $100 the gun isn't so bad, but some of the parts I wanted to powdercoat are too large for a conventional oven, which means I'd also have to spring for their infra-red curing setup....and when you add the cost of the powdercoat itself and all the smaller incidental items needed, I'd be looking at around $800-$1000 or more. WAY too rich for my blood.

Nah, my options are either to wait until late Fall, or just POR-15 everything. And since I want to have as much done on this thing before the new baby arrives, I think I'll just go with the POR-15. Looks like I'd better get some more ordered!
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
crazy larry

Post by crazy larry »

I know it's a little rich initially, but think about every project you do in the future.... you'd be ready to powder coat everything. just need more powder..... and like i said, then i could send you my crap to coat. :evil:

and isn't today your birthday? you deserve it, afterall, you did just get the little lady a new truck. it's your turn. :hmm:

:evil:
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes
zakt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by zakt »

I have decided thats what I will be doing also, spraying on POR15. Im just not happy with the outcome of the powder coat where its not in all the crevaces may it be operator error etc.. I would for sure do and care more to do a thorough job.
1972 Ford F350 crewcab
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I don't think it's operator error.
It seems to be a common complaint. The powder just doesnt get into the crevices properly.
Why? :dk:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

You only have to thin out the POR15 a bit and I had used a gun from Harbor freight with a moisture filter. It actually went really well with not many runs but where I got careless. just make sure you cover all your skin and get a good respirator even if you spray outside. :wink: Also seemed like the product went a long way.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

Take a look for one of the turbine sprayer outfits. I've used one for years for stuff like that, and I love it!! It runs on 110 and is easy to setup and pull around... I have a couple different guns for mine, one for primer and one for equipment paint, then I break out the good guns (Walcom) for the top coats.
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
morganater

Re: re: No more powdercoating for my truck parts

Post by morganater »

crazy larry wrote: afterall, you did just get the little lady a new truck. it's your turn. :hmm:

:evil:
lol!
1969 f100 swb ranger 460 - parting out
1968 f100 swb 429 - decking out
94 Jeep I6 Back-up vehicle
reppin' AK