Shifter hump buchered?

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

skiziks

Shifter hump buchered?

Post by skiziks »

So after wasting a year doing nothing I am doing the cab swap on my hi boy next week.

In preparing to do so I was looking at disconnecting the shifters so I don't have to lift the cab so high to get over the top of them. Looking under the mat and shift boots I found the hump that seems to be cut up. Is this a normal looking setup in a hi boy or did someone butcher this?
Optimized.DSCI0182.JPG
Optimized.DSCI0186.JPG
I have not yet removed the black tape to see what surprise awaits me there but I am confident there is a way to take the top off of the NP435. Right?

Thanks for the input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Larry

'68 F250 Ranger Camper Special 390 - C6 2 wheel drive - my Grandfather bought this truck with 4 miles on it!
'SOLD - :( -69 F100 Flare Side short bed - was a 6cly 3 speed - now is a 302 3 speed - will be a Fuel Injected 5.0 with a 6 speed
FordTruck
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Shifter hump buchered?

Post by FordTruck »

I don't own a 4x4 but it looks to me that someone just made one big cut instead of two,but that's just my :2cents:
"Flyin High On Caffine And Copenhagen" R.I.P Chris LeDoux

60 Mercury Comet
65 Ford Econoline
72 Ford F100 on 79 4x4 SWB frame
77 Ford F250 "lowboy" 4x4
09 Harley Xl1200c
budyzer123

Post by budyzer123 »

I've got a '76 F-250 frame that i put under a '70 F-100 body and mine looked pretty similar. Mine even had a cut down the side where the 4x4 shifter is. As for trying to take the shifter off I have no idea I just left mine on during the cab switch.
Doug Comer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Doug Comer »

The hump is definetely butchered. After removing the tape, place a rag over the area. Push the ring down and turn (sorry I can't remember which way) then you shuold be able to pull the shifter out of the transmission. I usually try to put into nuetral before pulling. Seems to make it easier to put back in. Hope this helps.
Doug
1967 f100 4x4
1970 f250 4x4
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

its been cut but not too badly. you mihgt be able to put a patch over the area between the two . or you mightbe able to just leave it and cover it over again. the 4wd drive shifter can be unbolted from underneath.
skiziks

Post by skiziks »

Doug was right on the money with the shifter removal. Under all that electrical tape was the retaining collar for the shifter just set in place. I guess the previous owner decided that why should he replace the cap that he butchered when he could just tape the cap in place.

I will be hitting NAPA or Ford I guess for a replacement.

Thanks for the input!
Larry

'68 F250 Ranger Camper Special 390 - C6 2 wheel drive - my Grandfather bought this truck with 4 miles on it!
'SOLD - :( -69 F100 Flare Side short bed - was a 6cly 3 speed - now is a 302 3 speed - will be a Fuel Injected 5.0 with a 6 speed
convincor
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by convincor »

these are what the factory cut outs look like. Need a new one? :hmm: I know were you can get one. :D

68 Custom Cab Shorty, 390, C6, 9"-3.50:1 Currie T/L
"Still Plays With Trucks"
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/convincor/F100/