Dream beams vs. M2 IFS

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

1brokef100

Dream beams vs. M2 IFS

Post by 1brokef100 »

I am new to this stuff and have done some digging but have not found anything to answer my questions. I am looking for information about the differences abvious or not between something like dream beams vs. IFS mustang 2 style setups? What are some of the pro's and cons of each?

I have a 72 F100 long bed that I plan on doing a ground up restoration. I have read some things that make it sorta seem like it is love it or hate it on each count...

Any little bit of light that can be shed on the subject would be great full.

Thanks

Broke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wickedinhere
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Dream beams vs. M2 IFS

Post by wickedinhere »

I went with dream beams but if i had to do it all over and i just might i would go with M2 front end. The M2 front end has so many options and its not that hard to install. It will cost more that dream beams but its well worth it.
You can pay more but you cant buy better.
mike68merc

Post by mike68merc »

:yt:
M-II Rocks!
1brokef100

Post by 1brokef100 »

The dream beams look pretty strait forward but I like the idea of the possibilities with the m2's. The skill level lacking I gotta admit, more of a motor guy than a fab guy but I have plenty of time and want to learn so I might just do the m2 for the experience. Spike TV didn't make it look impossible lol. My ultimate end game is airbags and dropped pretty low and then again that all mighty dollar comes into play...hmmm

ty for the insight guys.

Broke
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

wickedinhere wrote:I went with dream beams but if i had to do it all over and i just might i would go with M2 front end. The M2 front end has so many options and its not that hard to install. It will cost more that dream beams but its well worth it.
I am in the same boat. The money is already spent so I am stuck with beams, but the M2 would be way nicer. Plus it is easier to drop it lower without affecting camber angle.
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Check out my NEW build thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 93#p641993
1brokef100

Post by 1brokef100 »

Who makes the m2 conversions? I have searched for this on google and such and can only locate older f100 parts? Any help in this department would be great.

Thanks

Broke
texrodder

Post by texrodder »

1brokef100 wrote:Who makes the m2 conversions? I have searched for this on google and such and can only locate older f100 parts? Any help in this department would be great.

Thanks

Broke
fatman fabrications is the most common,and sells very heavyduty components, but there are a few universal kits that will work also.
mike68merc

Post by mike68merc »

M-II IFS is not as complicated or expensive as you'd probably think. :wink: It can be set at almost ANY ride height..From near stock to ON the ground. & in conjunction with air bags, you have the ability to raise/lower it 4" +/- !!!

This is Classic Trucks '68, & the beginning of their BUMPSIDE BUILDOFF. Check out his build, it's pretty informative.
http://classictrucks.automotive.com/116 ... index.html
His is set up a bit higher than mine, & he is not using Bags.

Mine is also a Fatman's setup. I wanted mine to sit as low as humanly possible. So I raised up the front frame section 1-1/2" AND added 2" Dropped Spindles.

....When I dump the bags, my front frame horns are on the ground! :D Then I can air 'em back up to my ride height (which is 4' off the ground) & drive away. If I need to clear an obstacle, I can press a button & raise it up an extra 4".

But you don't have to be this low....If you set up the M-II as high as possible... by placing it under the frame, & do NOT use dropped spindles, you could set it up to ride as high as the Dropped beams will get you. :hn:
livewyre

Post by livewyre »

Where did you get drop spindles at? I have searched all over and cannot find them anywhere!!!!
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

This is from an older post, so don't know if anything has changed since then but it indicates there are no drop spindles for I-beam ford trucks. Maybe someone else will chime in on this that has found something. https://www.fordification.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=43051

Good luck on your project :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears