what headers

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

what headers

Post by willowbilly3 »

I am kind of out of the loop on headers, I haven't put them on anything in years. What are the best ones for our old trucks with the FE? I remember some talk about ones that won't cook the starter and also don't interfere with changing it. I probably want some long tube ones in the smaller diameter since it is a work truck and will see most of it's duty in the 1200-4000 range.
And I suppose it would almost be expecting too much to get some that work with power steering and column shift 3 speed linkage.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: what headers

Post by oldschoolrods »

The p/o of my truck said it has hedman(sp?) headers on it. But it is also an auto and manual steering, so maybe you could check them out..
crazy larry

re: what headers

Post by crazy larry »

I bought a set of dynomaxs, and they suck. no other way to put it. had to 'clearance' the front tube on the driver side. I hope to high heaven my starter never craps out, because the header will have to be removed to get the starter off. the flanges DO NOT meet up with ANY available gasket. I bought a set of the copper gaskets when i ordered the headers, out of the box, can't use them. :x let me state for the record once and for all, DO NOT BUY DYNOMAX HEADERS.

in my resulting research, due to the fact i wasted my money the first time, I have determined that I want to personally inspect a set of hedman elite headers. they have the thickest advertised flange, and, that is the trouble i have now, sorry flanges... either that, or i'm going to buy some rounds and make my own flanges.
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes