Pre Purchase advice

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Pre Purchase advice

Post by fordman »

that is probably a shortbed frame. since the utility boxes were usually made to go on to short trucks. but it could be a long bed too. thats what it looks like to me. just measure the wheel base. on both trucks to see if it is a short or long bed.

as far as the bumper a torch wil take that off and clean it up mostly. then you may have to grind soem old welds off or redrill though the holes if they welded the bolt holes shut.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

I"m thinking it's a longbed.
Also that cargo bed is most likely a generic drop on. Probably no frame mods.
-Ryan
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

1971ford wrote:I"m thinking it's a longbed.
Also that cargo bed is most likely a generic drop on. Probably no frame mods.
Exactly, my current highboy had a utility bed on it when rattlecan had gotten it. Before he sold it to me, he swapped a regular long bed on it with no issues. They did not make single rear wheel 4x4 bumps with anything but regular beds that I know of, so someone swapped that utility bed on there.

If you want to remove the welded HD rear bumper, that sounds like it would be the only real issue, but doable.
Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
Eric L

Post by Eric L »

I was eyeballing that truck too.. let us know what you find. I agree that you will probably find a std hiboy frame.. seems like a little too much $$ considering you're not gonna use the body tho. I bought a good '71 hiboy chassis with DMV fees.. running, driving, good tires, for $400 last year in P'ville. I call it a parts truck, but cant bring myself to take it apart.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

I didn't even notice you were in sacramento!
Heck bring it over to my place and i'll cut that rear bumper off for you as long as it isn't too ridiculously done by the previous owner

And you can see what a bare sandblasted highboy frame looks like as i coat it in por-15 lol

What engine is in the truck now? i can't find it on CL
-Ryan
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Eric L wrote:I was eyeballing that truck too.. let us know what you find. I agree that you will probably find a std hiboy frame.. seems like a little too much $$ considering you're not gonna use the body tho. I bought a good '71 hiboy chassis with DMV fees.. running, driving, good tires, for $400 last year in P'ville. I call it a parts truck, but cant bring myself to take it apart.
Yep, I bought my highboy (bought it for the chassis, scrapped the rusted body and sold all the parts) for $500 from Auburn, got it running/driving in a couple hours of time. And now the chassis is being sandblasted.

How much is the truck?
-Ryan
Eric L

Post by Eric L »

last I saw it was $1500.. I thought it had potential as is, but I like utility bodies.
KI6TMM

urjb.com

'72 F-100 short step
'70 F-100 4x4
'67 F-350 crewcab
'72 CJ-5
'51 CJ-3a
bigwhiteford

Post by bigwhiteford »

I am up here just outside of Placerville, Lotus / Rescue area. Moved up about 2.5 years ago.

That truck has been relisted for $1350, I'm thinking of offering $800. It runs but the motor that is in it has a cracked block. The 360 that they have has a big chunk of the head missing at the exhaust port, so it's worthless. I am thinking of selling off the utility bed, the cab and any redundant parts to make some of the money back.
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
bigwhiteford

Post by bigwhiteford »

1971ford wrote:I didn't even notice you were in sacramento!
Heck bring it over to my place and i'll cut that rear bumper off for you as long as it isn't too ridiculously done by the previous owner

And you can see what a bare sandblasted highboy frame looks like as i coat it in por-15 lol

What engine is in the truck now? i can't find it on CL
I may take you up on that offer, or have you venture your way out here !
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

I'm actually up in placerville about once every two months. Placerville is awesome! I've got a dirtbike buddy up there.
I'm just down the highway from you a little.

4" angle grinder should slice it off. If you get the truck, send me some pictures of the bumper weldation.
-Ryan
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

fordman wrote:that is probably a shortbed frame. since the utility boxes were usually made to go on to short trucks. but it could be a long bed too. thats what it looks like to me. just measure the wheel base. on both trucks to see if it is a short or long bed.

as far as the bumper a torch wil take that off and clean it up mostly. then you may have to grind soem old welds off or redrill though the holes if they welded the bolt holes shut.
Every utility box ive ever seen has been a 8' or 11'. I dont think you can get a shortbed in 3/4 ton unless it was a crewcab.
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

hazelnut wrote:
fordman wrote:that is probably a shortbed frame. since the utility boxes were usually made to go on to short trucks. but it could be a long bed too. thats what it looks like to me. just measure the wheel base. on both trucks to see if it is a short or long bed.

Every utility box ive ever seen has been a 8' or 11'. I dont think you can get a shortbed in 3/4 ton unless it was a crewcab.
Or an ice cream truck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

bigwhiteford wrote:I am up here just outside of Placerville, Lotus / Rescue area. Moved up about 2.5 years ago.

That truck has been relisted for $1350, I'm thinking of offering $800. It runs but the motor that is in it has a cracked block. The 360 that they have has a big chunk of the head missing at the exhaust port, so it's worthless. I am thinking of selling off the utility bed, the cab and any redundant parts to make some of the money back.
I have a set of 360/390 heads. Comlete, good condition.
They're yours if you want them
-Ryan
zakt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by zakt »

I bought my parts truck 69 F250 (2wd) up/down in stockton for $375 with a siezed motor other than that its great no rust and bed not a dent. I hacked it all up though to put all the pieces on my 72 crew, using the bed, cab pieces, inner fenders, doors etc..etc... was fun towing it over donner with the tow bar :lol: Then I got a 68' F250 4x4 frame from another member that I took all the crossmembers out to convert my crew to 4x4 (as the F350 2wd and the F250 4x4 are close to the same frame).

Looks like a pretty decent truck and seems highboys are alittle tuff to find for a decent price.

1972 Ford F350 crewcab
bigwhiteford

Post by bigwhiteford »

Hard to believe it's been over three years since I posted this, but I finally got a 4x4. It's a 71 with a rusty 67 F100 body on it. Any local members want to do a Sunday wrench session to swap the bodies ? We can do a big BBQ to feed everyone !