Motor mounts moved? OR just too violent of wheelhop?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

morganater

Motor mounts moved? OR just too violent of wheelhop?

Post by morganater »

Last weekend I guess you could say I was hotrodding my truck. I have a 460 in the 69 swb f100, and have the 73-79 2wd 460 motor perches. I was experiencing some downright violent wheelhop when i was near the very top of 1st gear in the c6. As it was jumping it started steaming out from under the hood and coolant was everywhere!!!!! Turned out the fan rammed into the radiator and cut the crap out of it. I have rubber motor mounts on top of the perches that are bolted into the motor. I put the new radiator in (from the parts truck), installed it in essentially the same spot as the old one and got it all hooked up. Under certain acceleration positions now with the new radiator, the fan is clipping a protruding part of the radiator. I bent the fan back because i think i was just a little bent forward, and it doesn't do this anymore. I tightened the motor mounts as hard as i could, and I am still worried that with any type of jolt, or high-torqueing of the motor, that this could occur again! Is anyone else worried like me or is this just a kind of stupid question?
1969 f100 swb ranger 460 - parting out
1968 f100 swb 429 - decking out
94 Jeep I6 Back-up vehicle
reppin' AK
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Motor mounts moved? OR just too violent of wheelhop?

Post by FORDification »

Nope, sounds to me like your motor mounts have broken. The best way to check this is to just put a jack up under the engine and attempt to jack it up. I'd be willing to bet the rubber portions of the mount have split, allowing the engine to torque around. Replace the mounts and add an engine tiedown, like a chain which stretches over to the frame.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Check your tranny mount, it's probably gone too.

Seeing that you have a swap, maybe your driveshaft might be a wee bit too long? When wheelhop occurs, your differential is rotating forward and backwards real fast along with going up and down too. It's like a jackhammer effect on the driveshaft and if the splines are bottoming out then the tranny and engine are getting hammered too.
morganater

Post by morganater »

Tranny and motor mounts looke fine, rubber looks intact. I Have been driving for a while and everything seems to be fine
1969 f100 swb ranger 460 - parting out
1968 f100 swb 429 - decking out
94 Jeep I6 Back-up vehicle
reppin' AK
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Did you actually try jacking the engine up to positively eliminate that as a possibility? Even if the rubber portions of the mounts are broken, it probably won't be obvious with the engine pressing the two halves into each other. They would fit back together perfectly with hardly even a crack showing. I think just for peace of mind, I'll still try that.

Another way to check it is to pop the hood, fire up the truck and put ithe transmission down into low gear. Then holding your foot on the brake, start giving it gas, and watch the engine...see if it starts to rise up out of the engine bay.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Did you check to see if the "NUT" thats goes on the Stud of the motor mount is till on where it bolts to the motor perch and hold the motor down?

Mine came out awhile back and was doing the same thing that you say your is doing.
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

You definately need to tie the motor down or see if you can find some captive mounts like the Chevy trucks used. Then even if the rubber is gone the motor still can't jump around. And the powerbraking while watching the motor is a simple way to see re,e,ber you have to do it in reverse to see if the other side is broke. Bad part about that test is sometimes it doesn't rise slowly, the first movement may be a big leap. And get some slapper bars on there if you are going to be doing burnouts.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: re: Motor mounts moved? OR just too violent of wheelhop?

Post by FORDification »

willowbilly3 wrote:...And the powerbraking while watching the motor is a simple way to see re,e,ber you have to do it in reverse to see if the other side is broke. ...
Actually, I believe powerbraking in reverse will have little to no effect in the engine bay. The engine won't try to lift up the opposite direction, since it's the engine's torque that tries to twist it, and it continues going the same directions regardless of whether you're in a forward gear or reverse. The reverse rotation action doesn't start until the back end of the transmission, which, if anything, might actually counteract the engine's twisting action and keep the engine in place.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Hmmmm?? Well that all makes sense but I had a motor mount broken on my 300(can't remember which side now). Anyway it never lifted or gave any indication it was seperated except when I was backing up and then it took very little to make it darn near jump through the hood. Try this, just hold the brake and put a rear drive car from neutral to drive and then to reverse and see which way the engine torques. I think the engines resistance or reaction is going to be in the opposite direction of the torsional twist of the drive line reguardless of the engines rotation.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Hmmm.....I'll have to try that just to see what happens. :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video