removing knobs and bezels

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

bwc302

removing knobs and bezels

Post by bwc302 »

truck has a busted headlight knob, on my old mustang there was a button on the light swith that you had to push in to get the light shaft to release and pull it and the know bout. How do you get this shaft and knob off on a 71 truck?

also, my ignition switch is rolling around loose behind the dash, but I found a donor truck to get one from, how do these mount (is it just a matter of unscrewing the bezel?)

Thanks,

Bobby
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: removing knobs and bezels

Post by FORDification »

The headlight stem and knob come off in the same way as your Mustang. Just push the little button on top of the switch.

And yes, to remove the ignition switch you simply unscrew the outer bezel and disconnect the wiring harness.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
bwc302

Post by bwc302 »

Thanks, I did not want to start tapping on the ignition bezel to screw it off so that I made sure not to screw it up':D'

I tried feeling around under the dash for the stem release button but couldn't find it. Now that I know for sure I will continue looking for it.

Thanks,

Bobby
lobuck76

Post by lobuck76 »

Pretty sure you gotta take the tumbler out of the ingnition switch to get it out of the dash. Turn it to accessory and stick a peice of wire or a tip cleaner in the hole, It will turn a little more to the left and turn loose.
'71 F-100
bwc302

Post by bwc302 »

lobuck, do you have to do that to get the bezel off as well?

I am getting parts from a donor truck and do not know if they have the key.

I want to get the bezel and the bracket?? that holds the ignition switch in place.

Thanks,

Bobby
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

If you're removing the entire switch assembly, then you don't need to remove the tumbler, just the bezel and wiring harness. I've parted out a lot of trucks and I've never had to remove the tumbler. I should actually try that someday, just so I have the visual. :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!