After market indash radio install tips?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

DMikeM

After market indash radio install tips?

Post by DMikeM »

Just purchased a nice Pioneer indash CD/MP3 reciever and door speakers, but I can not find any install kits or wiring harnesses for this truck. Does anyone here have any experiance with this job. I have done this with several family cars in the past but we are talking 10 to 20 years ago and I had kits for the newer installs.
1970 F250 Camper Special 4x2 390cc
oldhalftons

re: After market indash radio install tips?

Post by oldhalftons »

I've never done this, but its on my "to-do" list

this is one one this sites "did you know" messages

You can install a CD player into your truck's slanted dash by using a Metra DIN radio installation kit #99-9222 for a '75-'93 Volvo and flipping the mounting piece upside down and attaching it to the bent-back ears in your dash, allowing the stereo to sit perfectly horizontal in the dash opening.
1969 F100 300/4spd power steering, manual brakes
DMikeM

Post by DMikeM »

After posting my question I did find out the info about the Metra Volvo kit and ordered one overnight from Fry's Outpost. I hope I get all the parts before this weekend so I can get it done on the days off.
blue70

Post by blue70 »

i installed a sony am/fm cd player in my 70. i had an extra bezel so i got out the cut off tool and cut out the center of the bezel i got it where the radio fit in it good and in order for it look right when mounted in the dash i had to flip the bezel up side down. i had to flip the bezel upside dowm so that the radio would face straight out instead of facing downward. after getting the radio and bezel set right i put a small screw on each side of the bezel under the radio face to hold it in the dash and just droped the two original screws back in their original holes and since they angled downward now they stay in place and i have no empty holes to look at. and the screws that i put in to hold the radio and bezel cant be seen unless you are in the floor looking up. i put 6x9 speakers in the doors and hid to 4" speakers under the dash where they cant be seen unless you are laying in the floor looking up. it turned out pretty good and sounds pretty good also. on the downside i did have to bent the original radio mounting tabs back out of the way but did not have to remove them. :drive:
1970 f-100 stepside 300 i-6 c-4 automatic
1974 f-250 4x4 (woods/mud truck)351w 4speed
1983 ranger 4x4 v-6 4speed
DMikeM

Post by DMikeM »

Got mine all installed and in tight. Used the volvo kit and it worked a charm.