Summit just lot my future business...

Tell us your good and/or bad experiences

Moderator: FORDification

dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Summit just lot my future business...

Post by dustman_stx »

I know that the general idea on forums is to question the authenticity of the statements when someone rants like I did. I stated what happened. If you choose to not believe what I'm saying, that is your prerogative. Some people are hard to deal with and are constantly attacking people and can't be pleased- I am not one of those people. Have you seen a rant like this from me before? And I've been a forum member for how many years???? I have been in business and dealt with consumers for going on 14 years now and I know what it is like to be on both sides of the counter. This is not some irrational rant where I was in the wrong- I've dealt with many of those cases. I was told by the customer service rep they would not be able to match the price but if I consider the manufacturer rebate I was getting them for less- even though the manufacturer rebate is the consumers and has nothing to do with a price match. When I questioned this he said he had already discussed it with a supervisor and that was the answer. Did I get a crappy rep that didn't offer an accurate response as to Summits reason? Maybe. But I resent being called a liar by a fellow forum member that has NO knowledge of the conversation. If I hadn't already spent an hour on the phone between 3 calls I would have probably asked to speak with a supervisor for more clarification, but I didn't see any reason as I already had an answer and according to my sales rep he had already spoken to a supervisor. In response to your last sentence- try flipping that around on Summit. If Summit is OK with losing a customer that has done thousands of dollars in business the past several years by not honoring their own policy and refusing to match a price by $77, then what does that say about them?????????????
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

For the record, I didn't call you a liar (edit, at least that was not the intent of what I said) - I absolutely believe that you told the story the way you perceive it. I apologize if you perceive that as me calling you a liar. What I don't believe is that that arbitrarily decided to not honor their policy without a reason. I also believe that you don't understand their reason, which is both their fault and yours.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

Here is a picture of the receipts from my 72 build:

How many times have you heard me rant about a retailer on here? Obviously I'm not that type of consumer. I am pretty confident I heard them clearly. Maybe the entire message given by the supervisor wasn't relayed to me. If that is the case, I'm not seeing how that is my fault. Still doesn't explain why they matched prices with this retailer for other customers. Granted, this is coming from accounts on forums, but I'm not seeing why anyone would lie about such an event occurring. For the record, a large number of those are Summit receipts.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I took the liberty of contacting Summit and providing a link to this thread. I forwarded the entire response to dustman_stx.

They did say in part that the supervisor would have provided a reason to the phone Representative, but that it might not have been passed along to the customer which surprises me a bit.

Here is where I am on this, I'm looking to understand why they didn't price match, they have a policy and should follow it. If the shocks don't meet a condition of the guarantee then I can't find fault with them, if on the other hand they simply decided to disregard their policy then I don't care for that.

The reason I say it is both parties fault that the reason isn't understood is that communication is a two way street, when something isn't understood questions should be asked until it is, at least that is my opinion of it.

Now, I have another question, and had to make a few assumptions because I don't know exactly what shocks are being talked about, but the $100.00 rebate appears to be on RS9000 shocks. When I put 4 RS9000 shocks in the shopping cart (edit: on 4wheelonline.com) there is no place to indicate application? (obviously I didn't finish the check out process) Are all RS9000 shocks the same price, or are they somehow universal?
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
1970 Hi-Boy
Preferred User
Preferred User
Location: Middle Tenessee/Northern Wisconsin/wherever else I may roam to try and make a buck.

Post by 1970 Hi-Boy »

So you're saying if Summit would have priced matched, instead of offering you a better deal, you would be a happy customer? Most company's no longer do double dip discounting any longer, not even at the grocery store. I would be happy they were looking out for me and offered a more cost effective solution than the one I suggested, as not many others would do the same, they'd just take as much of your cash as they could. The good old days are gone, I think you may like to take a moment to reconsider the situation, and reevaluate it. (If I understand this correctly) Times are tough on both ends, I hope you can find what you're looking for, at an affordable price to keep your ride rolling.
1970 F250 Sport Custom 4x4 360 V8, otherwise known as the Hi Boy, and a Harley-Davidson.

1953 Lincoln SA200 portable welder with a 4 cylinder 1941 Continental F162 engine.

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

DuckRyder wrote:I took the liberty of contacting Summit and providing a link to this thread. I forwarded the entire response to dustman_stx.

They did say in part that the supervisor would have provided a reason to the phone Representative, but that it might not have been passed along to the customer which surprises me a bit.

Here is where I am on this, I'm looking to understand why they didn't price match, they have a policy and should follow it. If the shocks don't meet a condition of the guarantee then I can't find fault with them, if on the other hand they simply decided to disregard their policy then I don't care for that.

The reason I say it is both parties fault that the reason isn't understood is that communication is a two way street, when something isn't understood questions should be asked until it is, at least that is my opinion of it.

Now, I have another question, and had to make a few assumptions because I don't know exactly what shocks are being talked about, but the $100.00 rebate appears to be on RS9000 shocks. When I put 4 RS9000 shocks in the shopping cart (edit: on 4wheelonline.com) there is no place to indicate application? (obviously I didn't finish the check out process) Are all RS9000 shocks the same price, or are they somehow universal?
Sorry for the delayed response. As far as I can tell, any 4 RS9000XL shocks sell for the same price. When you check out, they have a field where you enter the information for your vehicle. I also included a note in the customer notes section indicating the part numbers I needed according to the Rancho website. BTW, delivery was attempted yesterday, but a signature is required and I missed them by about 12 minutes. Hopefully will be home when FedEx runs today.
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

1970 Hi-Boy wrote:So you're saying if Summit would have priced matched, instead of offering you a better deal, you would be a happy customer? Most company's no longer do double dip discounting any longer, not even at the grocery store. I would be happy they were looking out for me and offered a more cost effective solution than the one I suggested, as not many others would do the same, they'd just take as much of your cash as they could. The good old days are gone, I think you may like to take a moment to reconsider the situation, and reevaluate it. (If I understand this correctly) Times are tough on both ends, I hope you can find what you're looking for, at an affordable price to keep your ride rolling.
I don't think you have accurately understood the situation. Not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that they were offering me a better deal??? At 4wheelonline.com the price was 327.95 ( or something to that effect- I'm not taking the time to look up the price again). Rancho offers a manufacturers rebate of $100, which will lead to a total cost of $227.95 because shipping was free. Summit tried to sell me the shocks at normal price and "beat" the 327.95 using the $100 off, which would bring their total price to (I think they were about $100 per shock at Summit, but don't quote me on this) $400 plus shipping, minus the $100 manu, bringing my price to $300 PLUS shipping. So they weren't really offering to price match. The manufacturer rebate is mine, not the retailers. Clear as mud now???
1970 Hi-Boy
Preferred User
Preferred User
Location: Middle Tenessee/Northern Wisconsin/wherever else I may roam to try and make a buck.

Post by 1970 Hi-Boy »

dustman_stx wrote:
1970 Hi-Boy wrote:So you're saying if Summit would have priced matched, instead of offering you a better deal, you would be a happy customer? Most company's no longer do double dip discounting any longer, not even at the grocery store. I would be happy they were looking out for me and offered a more cost effective solution than the one I suggested, as not many others would do the same, they'd just take as much of your cash as they could. The good old days are gone, I think you may like to take a moment to reconsider the situation, and reevaluate it. (If I understand this correctly) Times are tough on both ends, I hope you can find what you're looking for, at an affordable price to keep your ride rolling.
I don't think you have accurately understood the situation. Not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that they were offering me a better deal??? At 4wheelonline.com the price was 327.95 ( or something to that effect- I'm not taking the time to look up the price again). Rancho offers a manufacturers rebate of $100, which will lead to a total cost of $227.95 because shipping was free. Summit tried to sell me the shocks at normal price and "beat" the 327.95 using the $100 off, which would bring their total price to (I think they were about $100 per shock at Summit, but don't quote me on this) $400 plus shipping, minus the $100 manu, bringing my price to $300 PLUS shipping. So they weren't really offering to price match. The manufacturer rebate is mine, not the retailers. Clear as mud now???
Clear as mud. :hmm:
1970 F250 Sport Custom 4x4 360 V8, otherwise known as the Hi Boy, and a Harley-Davidson.

1953 Lincoln SA200 portable welder with a 4 cylinder 1941 Continental F162 engine.

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

1970 Hi-Boy wrote:Clear as mud. :hmm:
It makes sense to me.

I heard back from the rep I had been talking to at summit.

He said that he really could not figure out why they did not price match in this case.
Robert

dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

Just for the record: I received my shocks yesterday from 4wheelonline.com. Everything appears correct and in good shape. I spoke with a customer service rep with 4wheel last week and my call was answered promptly and he was very helpful. I received an email with my tracking number. I read lots of horror stories on the net about them, but my transaction couldn't have gone smoother.
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

1970 Hi-Boy wrote:

Y'all don't use that saying in Tennessee?
1970 Hi-Boy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970 Hi-Boy »

dustman_stx wrote:
1970 Hi-Boy wrote:

Y'all don't use that saying in Tennessee?

I was confirming. Somewhere I got corn-fused between the first and umpteenth posting there, so my math tracking got derailed. Glad to see ya gotcha some new shocks there though, bet your truck will like 'em, sure enough, so at least there was a happy ending. Which for me is the main point here, working through problems and keeping our old rides running good and as roadworthy when new. Maybe even old Summit learned a thing, reckon we'll see soon enough.

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I had some good dealings with Summit last week.

A part of my order got screwed up by the manufacturer. Summit didn't notify me anything was wrong, but I figured something was up when I wasn't emailed a tracking number. I called Summit, a lady put me on hold for 10 minutes then hung up on me. I cooled off for a day and called back the next morning with organized thoughts ready for blood. I wasn't on hold for long before a "hostage negotiator" said the right things to calm me down. We came to reasonable understanding, he went above and beyond to figure out where things went awry and get everything sorted out. It was a 45 minute ordeal by the time it was done, but he was able to teach me a few things about the products I was ordering and I was able to explain problems with Summit's website ordering. He was able to find parts that fit my needs better than what I had ordered to begin with and gave the order free shipping and a discount.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70