coil springs

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

if you have both leaf and coil springs in the back then remove all the coil springs and it will do what it will do. if it comes down then you have made progress . if not then you may want to do something else to it.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: coil springs

Post by FORDification »

You gotta keep in mind that these are trucks we're talking about, not cars. These trucks were specifically designed to carry heavy loads. If they came out level from the factory, then any time you put anything in the bed, the rear half would drop down and the front would raise up. That wouldn't be good...the steering gets a little more squirrely and reduced visibility becomes a factor. Plus you end up looking like a dork.

Therefore, they installed heavy springs on the back which can handle the weight of cargo. Even putting very heavy cargo back there will simply make the back end squat down more, for the most part. You'd have to virtually exceed the factory GVW rating to get the truck loaded down so far that the rear would be lower than the front...and that's by design.

Since the factory's design is to have the rear half higher than the front, that means that even after you remove the add-on parts put there by a previous owner (overload springs and coil-over shocks) you will have reduced the load capacity of the truck, but it's not going to be any lower than it was the day it rolled off the factory floor. The back end is still going to be higher. To level the truck out you're going to have to 'reverse-enginneer' the factory's work....which means installing drop shackles, and/or de-arched springs, and/or rear-end flip kit.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

i think the rear is higher so it will sit level when it is loaded.
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

oh man you beat me :( well i missed that there was a second page :oops:
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
gonzalo medina
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: coil springs

Post by gonzalo medina »

Ok well see I don't need them any ways. I'll keep you guys informed on the outcome. I'm hopeing to level it the inexpensive way. thanks...