coil springs

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

gonzalo medina
Preferred User
Preferred User

coil springs

Post by gonzalo medina »

Which springs do I cut to lower the back side there are two sets?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

do you have coil spring in the back or do you have the original leaf springs?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: coil springs

Post by FORDification »

Right, your truck should have leaf springs in the back. If you've got coils then somebody has done some major work to the backend of your truck.

...unless your talking about coil-over shocks, which are an entirely different entity. Those are simply to add to the load capacity and won't affect how high the rear sets.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
gonzalo medina
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by gonzalo medina »

It ha two sets of springs and leaf springs
gonzalo medina
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by gonzalo medina »

Excuse my past reply, it has leaf springs of course but it has two sets of springs. I take the coil overs are shocks with springs around them and there is also springs like the ones in the front but shorter resting on top of the rear.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Those are aftermarket overload springs too. Apparently the previous owner was doing some heavy hauling and wanted the extra payload so he added those springs. You can just remove them and their brackets completely....they aren't needed. The only springs needed in the back are the leaf spring assemblies.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
gonzalo medina
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by gonzalo medina »

I wanted to know if i remove them will it lower it. I have been wanting to level the back to the front height and heard you could cut springs if you just want to lower a little.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

maybe
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

IMO since shocks (and/or overload shocks) do not control the ride height, cutting the coils on the shocks will not do anything to lower the truck.

if your leaf springs are mounted under the axle, you can get lowering blocks from a performance/parts store and install it to get the look you are after.
this kit will include lowering blocks, and new u-joints.
summit racing has them for other type trucks..........

http://store.summitracing.com/default.a ... p&x=32&y=6

as for cutting the coils, IMO that only works on the front of our trucks. if your going to do something, do it the right way. cold cutting (with a chop saw or similar) will keep the temper of the springs intact. cutting (or just heating) with a cutting torch will eventually leave you with a lot lower drop than you expected.

hope this helps! and Merry Christmas to all!
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

:yt: are the coils you want to cut coil overs?
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
4x4_Welder

Post by 4x4_Welder »

The HD coilover shocks that people use for overloads do affect the ride height, they provide about 300lbs per inch of additional resistance, and usually pick up the rear about 1.5" over stock.
Post a picture of the truck as it sits now, or the measurement from the ground to the body line above the wheelwell., and we can figure out how much higher it is than it should be.
~X~

Post by ~X~ »

Putting the axle over the spring will lower it alot more than what you are looking for IMO. I dont know of an F100 that ever came with the spring UNDER axle, at least in the years we discuss here.
Do the math: axle tube-3", spring pad approx 3/4", spring pack approx 2 1/2". The bottom of the spring pack rests on the top of the spring pad and its on top of the axle tube. Now, picture the top of the spring pack contacting a new spring pad UNDER the axle.
I mounted my springs under and it dropped it alot, probably 7-8", just what I wanted. But if you are only wanting to match the ride height to the front you might want to start by getting creative with your spring hangers and leave the spring pads where they are. Keep in mind that the front spring mounts locate the axle for proper alignment so messing with the back would be safer. Or, you are in for alot of work if you place a new pad under the axle to lower it and the RAISE the rear some to match the front!
I know, my shock angle is wrong now and the frame needs a C-notch and has to be boxed. Taking the bed off makes this job alot easier so Im holding off til I get my new bed ready.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

are you looking to lower it or just level it out? because it would be less work to just put spring spacers in the front.
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
gonzalo medina
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by gonzalo medina »

Ok just for the record our trucks only have leaf spring packs in the back right ? Mine has those aftermarket springs that rest on top of the rear and push up. It also has coil-over style which brings me to the point. The back is raised a little more then the front, which bothers because of the gap between wheels and bed. I don't want to slam it or anything but simply level it with the front. Shouldn't the removal of the two extra sets of springs bring it down. It's not a f-250 or camper special, one with heavy duty leafs which commonly came higher in the back then f-100?????
qman

Post by qman »

my 72 F100 is stock and the rear is higher than the front. That'show they're made. I think that's how they're made today with the rear higher than the front.
72 F100 2wd 360 C6 Custom w/factory PS.