Need opinions on Skyjacker 2" lift. Front only or whole kit?

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

brownac1983

Need opinions on Skyjacker 2" lift. Front only or whole kit?

Post by brownac1983 »

Hey guys. I see a few of you on here have mentioned running the Skyjacker kits. I have a 1967 F-250 (F-260 model) 4x4. The front springs have sagged pretty bad, especially the drivers side. I'm in the market to replace them, and I'd like the truck to end up more or less level front to rear. The problem is I don't know how much it has sagged so I don't know how much I need to raise the front over stock to level it. The rears show no signs of sag, still holding a nice arch as far as I can tell, and I know these trucks came with a nose down factory stance.

If I was to install just the front 2" skyjacker lift springs (part number F724S) would that bring the front up close to level with the rear, or would it be too high in the front? Likewise, if I was to install the Skyjacker 2" lift kit (F720K), would that bring me up 2" all around and keep the nose down stance, or would it level the truck also (and if it would level the truck, where is the leveling coming from, is the front raised more than 2" or the rear raised less than 2")?

Is anybody running either of these that wouldn't mind posting a pic along with their tire size? And, do any of you recommend a certain retailer? I usually try to buy local, but none of my usual shops can get this. Thanks. :fr:

-Drew
jlycans

Re: Need opinions on Skyjacker 2" lift. Front only or whole kit?

Post by jlycans »

My 72 is sitting the same way. I contacted Skyjacker and they claim it is 2" over stock. I have read claims that the 4" kit is "factory replacement springs" so who knows. Sky jacker claims 2" kit can run 38's and 4" 40's. I would like for someone to post some pics as well or shed some truth on this.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Need opinions on Skyjacker 2" lift. Front only or whole kit?

Post by averagef250 »

The variable you're probably missing here is how much replacement springs can vary. Skyjacker's just a name put on a box that parts come in. Spring shops make springs. Does Skyjacker own every spring shop that makes their springs? Probably not. I can get Deaver springs made 20 minutes away. Deaver subs work to your local shops who build the springs instead of stocking and shipping 10,000 different spring packs.

When I need a specific ride height for a leaf sprung vehicle I talk to my local spring shops. I tell them what I need it to do, how I want it to ride and they usually suggest buying an aftermarket lift spring, checking installed height and pulling them back out so they can modify the pack to get what I need.

Again, your truck sat pretty level when it was new. Not noticeably nose down. If you buy stock springs the truck should sit level. If it doesn't then you take those springs to a spring shop and have them modified so they do what they're supposed to.

I would suspect 2" springs would put the nose 2" higher than the rear. 4" springs should put the nose 4" higher in the front.

I have only used one set of 4" Skyjacker branded springs. They required 4" of lift in the rear to put the rear 1" below the front, the way I like it to sit. 4" springs go well with 35-37" tires IMO.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70