Bendix to Saginaw

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Chromepro

Bendix to Saginaw

Post by Chromepro »

Changing steering box/column and would like some ideas on how to lift the engine for the new motor mount. My plan is to place a piece of 2x4 under the oil pan, unbolt the mount rubber pad on the driver's side and lift with two floor jacks, just enought to clear the old mount and install the new. I'm not crazy about putting it under the pan, but I'm really not sure where else to go and I don't have an engine hoist available. Thanks all in advance!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Bendix to Saginaw

Post by FORDification »

A block of wood between the hydraulic jack and the harmonic balancer will work too.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Chromepro

Post by Chromepro »

Thanks again Keith, I think I'll try both to take the pressure off. I should only need to lift an inch or so (I hope), to clear the bolts. Maybe wedge some 2x4 to keep the engine from shifting too. Whatever I'm going to make it quick, you can bet that!
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

The pan method works fine. Just make sure your 2X4 spans the entire surface. My son lifted his once with a small piece and ended up denting in the pan.
jor
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: Bendix to Saginaw

Post by rjewkes »

FORDification wrote:A block of wood between the hydraulic jack and the harmonic balancer will work too.
:yt: whew, i thought i was the only guy with that thought, ive done it twice.once to replace pan gasket and oil pump stick and again later to change out the mounts. :lol: I put my 2x4's und the exhuast manifolds and just a little back from the mount are to keep it up.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com