Bad box?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

ajsmolik

Bad box?

Post by ajsmolik »

I added P/S to my 71 F1002wd - Used an identical donor, and at first - everything worked great! The pump was noisy though, so I went back to the bone-yard and harvested another. It was also nosiy (but only some of the time) but worked just fine.

After about a month, problems. First I noticed loss of power turning to the right, then no power. Then the pump froze-up.

I broke down and bought a reman pump from NAPA and installed it today. Filled the system with NAPA P/S fluid. It was noisier than the first two bone-yard pumps. At first, it worked only OK - steering seemed hard. I took it out on the highway to warm it up, and now I have no power at all. The pump's still turning, less noisy, and seems to be pumping. My fluid is all milky now too. WTF!?

Could my steering box be bad? What are the symptoms - or do they just leak? Could there be something plugging up the flow? Any thoughts appreciated.
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Sounds like something is wrong in the gearbox.

Maybe it got some water in it and it is coming out?

Or you have a plugged line or rusted valve somewhere.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

also p/s fluid from newer vehicles isn't for use in our trucks for that you need Type F. Also i have read the back of the dexron three mercon III bottles and they meet or exceed Type F.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i would dump all the fuilds and clean out the entire system however you can and start with fresh fuild. the milky color means water in the fuild. unless it is actually bubbly looking then that is something else. also make sure the lines are clear. after that i would guess it could be the gear.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Bad box?

Post by FORDification »

Another thing to consider is that you simply have trapped air in the system. The 'milky' appearance is likely caused by lots of small air bubbles (as fordman mentioned). However, normally you can just top off the pump as needed and then circulate the steering through it's limits....that is, full left, then full right....a dozen times or so. Normally that will bleed the air from the system.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
ajsmolik

Post by ajsmolik »

Okay, before I tear down my steering box...

I drained and flushed the system. I ran about a gallon of fluid through, and then reconnected. Now I have good power steering to the LEFT, (almost no effort) - but nothing to the RIGHT.

What's the problem here? Is there a check valve that's sticking? I've done the Left/Right routine half a dozen times to let out any air. Is there any way to solve this problem without tearing down?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I'm guessing there's still air in the system. You might try the right-left drill a few more times and then maybe take it for a drive where you'll make some good turns and see if it works itself out.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
ajsmolik

Post by ajsmolik »

No luck. What's this "shuttle valve" or "actuator valve?" that I've read about? Is it inside the box? Is it something that can be repaired - or does it come with a repair kit?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

it could be sticking i don't know if it can be fixed with a rebuild or not. there should be a rebuild kit avaliable though. if not ford maybe the parts store if not one of the aftermarket companies should have one.
dragtruck

Post by dragtruck »

Never ever bleed a PS box with your wheels on the ground,get the front wheels off the ground and steer back and forth and don't hold agaist the stops,and try lucas brand power steering sealer/fix,its a red thick lube I use with my trucks when my PS gets to be a problem,no its not snake oil,I tried it to experiment and it worked great,my buddies 79 bronco sat for years and when he started it ,it was spewing PS fluid out we put the lucas stuff in and bled the system with the front wheels off the ground and he had no more problems(until he rolled it while wheeling).NAPA usually carries the stuff.Don't use ATF as there is no weight reguirement,one batch could be 10w,another5w etc.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Sounds like one of the holes in the control valve in the box swallowed
a piece of debris. To do it right, your gonna need to overhaul or replace
the box and take the can off the pump and clean it out and flush the lines
and cooler out. ATF works just fine. The P/S fluid they sell at the parts
house is junk. If you can get your hands on some commercial hydraulic
fluid like they use on tow truck beds, that's the good stuff. Lucas is a good
additive, but it don't fix anything. Break out the wrenches. Don't drive
it if the steering is messed up, dangerous! 8)
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

So jake what you are saying is that if I were to put hydraulic fluid that would be for like floor jacks and cab-over semi jacks that it would be better for the PS?
ajsmolik

Post by ajsmolik »

Okay,

So I took the box out... (huff - huff) I'm going to tear it down later this week to inspect it.

If I need a new block, worm gear, or balls - where can I get them? They don't come with the rebuild kit at NAPA/autozone do they?
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

If it's the same stuff that Valvoline makes for hydraulic pump systems,
like they use on towtruck beds. Yep.