Driveshaft swap: 2pc to 1 pc? anyone done it?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

greasemonkey060

Driveshaft swap: 2pc to 1 pc? anyone done it?

Post by greasemonkey060 »

Im runnin' a 71 f/250, with a two piece driveshaft, after lowering it, i need to adjust the pinion angle on the rearend.. i thought while i was under there, i thought i'd throw on a new driveshaft.

has anyone gone from a two piece to one piece driveshaft? if so, what driveshafts are compatible?

thanks
-Brandon
'64 F100 SWB 8" notch, & triangulated four link w/ 2600 Firestone bags out back.
'67 F100 SWB STOCK.
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Driveshaft swap: 2pc to 1 pc? anyone done it?

Post by 1970F250 »

i thought you had to have a two piece because theres nothing holding the yoke in the tranny. it just slips in. if you went to one piece in would slide in and out as the suspension went up and down. :?
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Driveshaft swap: 2pc to 1 pc? anyone done it?

Post by FORDification »

Your truck will have a transmission with a bolt-on yoke. To use a one-piece driveshaft you WILL have to get a car-type transmission.

I know some have done this, but most who have tried have had problems. The main reason the driveshift is split in two is because of the length. The longer the driveshaft is, the harder it is to balance and to keep it from going off-balance while being used in the truck. It can be done, but having the correct pinion angle is much more critical...and IMO is going to be more trouble that it's worth. That two-piece setup is more than capable of handling whatever you're going to throw at it. I'd suggest just keeping things the way they are.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
greasemonkey060

Re: re: Driveshaft swap: 2pc to 1 pc? anyone done it?

Post by greasemonkey060 »

FORDification wrote:Your truck will have a transmission with a bolt-on yoke. To use a one-piece driveshaft you WILL have to get a car-type transmission.

I know some have done this, but most who have tried have had problems. The main reason the driveshift is split in two is because of the length. The longer the driveshaft is, the harder it is to balance and to keep it from going off-balance while being used in the truck. It can be done, but having the correct pinion angle is much more critical...and IMO is going to be more trouble that it's worth. That two-piece setup is more than capable of handling whatever you're going to throw at it. I'd suggest just keeping things the way they are.
awesome, thanks for the help!!
'64 F100 SWB 8" notch, & triangulated four link w/ 2600 Firestone bags out back.
'67 F100 SWB STOCK.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: Driveshaft swap: 2pc to 1 pc? anyone done it?

Post by ToughOldFord »

1970F250 wrote:i thought you had to have a two piece because theres nothing holding the yoke in the tranny. it just slips in. if you went to one piece in would slide in and out as the suspension went up and down. :?
Right, that's how they work, otherwise you'd bend the heck out of that drive line. (Or bust the transmission)