I'm giving up ... trouble with the flabby gear arm on my Ford F100 automat

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

DuckRyder

Re: I'm giving up ... trouble with the flabby gear arm on my Ford F100 automat

Post by DuckRyder »

Clip?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

This? https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_for ... ssion.html

I've also used a C-clip from my local parts store.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

Sargent. You're so right it was the clip that's taken now and jumped away somewhere hehe. It's just gone. do not know if the original is another model? is not it like a -put on and clamping with a pliers? I have ordered a new and also that rubber insulator (# 2) so now it's just and waiting. take time to get it from the USA. but I still have to do the car. Replace the hinges. change covers, some welding work in the floor on my side. yes I have to do. The pickup will be on inspection in 2 months. Thanks for al help
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

Sargent. Can I use any of these clips. which is best to have on the shift living at the bottom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Either one will work. The top one will probably be easier to install. You want to get the thinnest one you can find. There is not much room in the groove once the rod is in the bushing.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

thank you sargentrs
Now I'm waiting for my things I've ordered. so now there are some more questions. I have now put in my steering in again and replaced the rag joint. but how should I do now when I put back the shift lever at the bottom. should I put the shift coller arm so that it points to D on pointers or should it be on R then put in shift lever at the bottom. do you understand what I mean? want the gear will be right again. :oops: I missed this when I pulled out the steering wheel. if it was in R or D (drive) :x :oops: :oops: I do not know if it does matter, but it's just putting gear on the steering wheel. Should I possibly adjust the gear link to be on shift lever. ?? can it be completely wrong now ....
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

The Park slot on the detent plate is the only consistently locked place on your shifter. Also, when you put your truck in park you REALLY want to make sure the transmission is firmly in park also. Don't want her to roll away from you when you step out. :cuss: Put your shifter in park and make sure it's securely locked in the slot. Put your transmission in park and make sure it's secure. Connect your linkage rod and adjust it so that there is no slop in the linkage. Once you have it securely tightened down, start your truck and shift out of park and then back into park a few times so you KNOW that it's going to stay in park. Once your certain park is park, then you can see if you can put it in drive and the pointer is in a good position to suit you.
Randy
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

became a bit of work today by adjusting the link to the steering wheel shift lever. Feels good in the gear now. not too hard and not too loose. Now I'm just waiting for my order so I can put chips on the link and replace the rubber in the column coller arm. Then there may be a test trip. will be exciting. :clap: :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

It also looks like your kick down linkage is missing for the second lever on the transmission. It should attach to the carb throttle lever and tells the trans mission to downshift under heavy throttle.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

right Ranchero 50. When I bought the pickup there was no kick down linkage. I have tried to find one here in Sweden and it does not seem to exist. I do not know if I can build one myself. Just i know the size and the length so maybe I can build this myself, I do not know. there are in usa but shipping is too expensive to get it .... suck. Maybe it could work from another car brand if i bend a bit. Well I want oc to have a kick down linkage question is well only when.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

You can make your own in a variety of different ways. the hardest part will be finding the right ends to match your carb linkage and transmission lever. If you can figure that out you can use 1/2" electrical conduit and flatten the ends or a push-pull cable and make brackets. Then you just have to figure out the adjustment.
Randy
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

This became the work of the weekend. change door pin. Can say that I do not want to do that again. It was difficult and devilish. These door pins that I bought from the United States do not fit my car even that the seller said it's these as it should be ?? What do I do then? Wait for 4 weeks before I can get home new from the US ?? No. I have to try to get to the door that hangs in some way. So I took off the door and try as good as possible.

I was able to drill into the top hinge that was worn. and unfortunately the hole was too big and worn for the new clamp ring so I got the weld and tried to fix the hinge on the hinges. It was not easy. In the end, I did get it so it became much better but not perfect ...
never more change the door pin.
So what did I learn from this ....
Never think things fit the car if I do not even have it in my hand and can see what it looks like. Do not rely entirely on sellers and make sure you get the right thing because it takes too long to wait for it to be sent from the United States to me. This was not a good weekend for yesterday. many hours and anger.
Have a nice day
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

more foton
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

sargentrs
now I'm giving up. Now I've tried everything. I change the rubber but it's just as smooth/flabby in the gear arm ..... suck. Feels like I can shake Image 2 back and forth a bit. like it's the one wrong with the column. but it's whole and no damage. so now I no longer know what might be wrong. do you have any more ideas? I will try to put out a movie tomorrow so you see and understand what I mean. I am now quite tired of car now
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Is the pin that holds the shift handle in tight? It should be tight enough that the handle will not move up and down, just pivot front to rear when you pull and when you let go it should go back to center and stay there. My pin was loose in the handle. I bought a roll pin just large enough to tap through the center hole in the shift handle. Then drilled out the hole in the shift collar just a little under the diameter of the pin so it would tap in place firmly. Then I ground off the ends flush. It also looks like you're missing a screw that holds the plunger in. Is the plunger firm and requires considerable force to press it down? Here's some photos of mine.
Randy