69 Ranger Grill and Exterior Trim Color

Moderator: FORDification

Rcarmody

69 Ranger Grill and Exterior Trim Color

Post by Rcarmody »

Hello,

This is my first post on the forums, so hopefully I don't mess it up. I looked high and low for my answer but couldn't come up with anything.

My truck is a 1969 F-250 Ranger Camper Special

I would like to re-paint the red line on my Ranger grill but can't quite figure out which color to use. Does anyone know what color red was used for the stripe in the center of the 1969 Ranger grill?

I looked up 1969 truck colors and it looks like the reds that year were:
Rangoon Red
Candyapple Red
Federal Red (Explorer Truck Only)
Red (Explorer Truck Only)

Did Ford use one of these body colors for the red trim?

I would also like to paint the headlight bezel, Ford logo on the tailgate and black stripes on the body side moldings black. Any particular black I should use? Also glossy, semi-gloss or flat?

I was thinking of just using spray paint. Does anyone have any products or companies they would recommend for exterior auto paint? I don't have a spray gun so I would have to use spray cans.

I saw that there are a few people on here that restore grills. If you are one of those folks I would love to chat about that too!

Thanks for you time. Here are a few pics of my truck.
[image]813[/image]

[image]814[/image]
1969 Ford F-250 Ranger Camper Special
Dad's - 1969 Ford F-350 Custom Cab w/ 14' Flatbed
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: 69 Ranger Grill and Exterior Trim Color

Post by Bullitt74 »

I can’t help you on the red portion of the grille, but I’m reasonably sure the headlight bucket and most other black trim color is ‘satin black’. I have to repaint one of my headlight doors (‘72), and plan to try the SEM black trim product here:

https://www.semproducts.com/product/tri ... ct-details

The SEM product is designed to be a one-stage application and claims etch primer isn’t required. If you plan to use another product, ensure it has a UV protectant and use etch primer if you sand down to the metal.

For the Ranger badge trim, consider Testors red, blue, and white (see my build thread).
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
Rcarmody

Re: 69 Ranger Grill and Exterior Trim Color

Post by Rcarmody »

Thanks Bullitt74.

I ended up getting the grille redone at King of Trim in Los Angeles. They matched the red stripe to the red of the Ranger emblem in the center. Took them awhile but they did a really nice job.

[image]969[/image]

[image]971[/image]
1969 Ford F-250 Ranger Camper Special
Dad's - 1969 Ford F-350 Custom Cab w/ 14' Flatbed