In Cab Tank Too Big?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

NWDave

In Cab Tank Too Big?

Post by NWDave »

We recently scored a 1969 F100 Ranger, 2WD. The stock seat will not travel all the way back, where the seat back completely covers the in cab gas tank, it's about 2.5" shy of going all the way back. The previous owner had installed a small diameter aftermarket steering wheel to cope with the cramped situation.

We just removed the seat, and the ratty old carpet to clean the interior, and check for floor board rust (very little!). The gas tank is painted the same color as the cab, which makes it look original, but the tank appears to be too big for the truck. It's too thick through the middle, the seat hits it right at the thickest part, and it even causes the rear wall of the cab to bulge out about an inch, and "oil can" when we drive it, due to constant rearward pressure from the seat! The tank has mount bolts at the top, which appear stock, but the bottom is a good 2 inches from 2 mounting channels, where the lower flange of the tank should slip into.

The truck is in great shape, and has the left bed side mount auxiliary tank, but it hasn't been used in some time due to a frozen selector valve. We are about to remove the in cab tank, and clean out the side mount tank to run as the primary. Junk yards around here are pretty light on pre 1973 F100 parts, just a few gutted relics without tanks.

Looking for some guidance, and we would be happy with the extra in-cab room with the tank removed.
1969 F100 Ranger LWB 2WD, PS, PB, 428/C6, 3.50 to 1 gears, 31 spline chromoly axles with a Yukon Grizzly Locker.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: In Cab Tank Too Big?

Post by sargentrs »

If you have the frame mounted tank like the one in this article http://www.fordification.com/tech/fueltank01.htm (half way down the page), I would focus my attention on getting that one useable and ditch the in cab tank. It's plenty big enough to act as your primary. You can also look into the frame mounted Mustang tank swap. http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =7&t=46022
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
NWDave

Post by NWDave »

The in cab tank I have bulges towards the bottom way more than the one in the photos! Thanks for the info, I will be yanking it out!
1969 F100 Ranger LWB 2WD, PS, PB, 428/C6, 3.50 to 1 gears, 31 spline chromoly axles with a Yukon Grizzly Locker.
Bill Ramsey
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bill Ramsey »

can you post photos of it? i want to see what is going on.
1968 Highboy
1976 Highboy
1969 F250 Camper Special
1941 Dodge Power Wagon
1930 Model A Coupe (Hotrod)
1962 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
VW Sandrails
Honda ATC's
36' Diesel Pusher for roughing it.
NWDave

Post by NWDave »

I got the tank syphoned out (about 17 gallons!), and removed it tonight. The rear of the tank had three good sized outward bulges which rested against the rear of the cab. There are 3 raised/ribbed areas stamped into the rear of the cab that aligned with the bulges, and they are all dented outward. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Not sure how the tank could have gotten damaged, maybe it was removed and got damaged outside of the truck, after 49 years who knows?

I could probably hammer them inward, and keep the tank, but I like the extra room there is with it out of the cab.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

If you don't want to butcher up your truck bed, (by installing the mustang tank) and never be able to haul anything 8 foot long again (by having a fuel filler coming up in the center of the bed... :eek:

Then you should consider the EB tank and you can then utilize the dentside gas filler door, (grafted into the side of your truck bed): :thup:

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1966-1 ... /10201KIT/
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

basketcase0302 wrote:Then you should consider the EB tank and you can then utilize the dentside gas filler door, (grafted into the side of your truck bed):
I used one to get by in my plow truck, (strapped in the back) , the only problem I see is capacity .

I thought I heard about someone using a International Scout tank ,that has a side fill tube and holds 19 gallons.
jamesdfo

Post by jamesdfo »

NWDave: If I was a betting man, I would guess that the truck may have sat for some time, without a gas cap, and that the water that got in FROZE expanding the tank??

You may be able to use some BFFI (Brute Force & F'n Ignorance) to get it closer to it's oringinal shape, but a bit of forethought and some finesse may net a better result :wnk:

But if the extra leg room available by removing the In Cab Tank outweighs the fuel capacity, then I would concentrate efforts on restoring the side tank to usable condition.

James

NWDave wrote:I got the tank syphoned out (about 17 gallons!), and removed it tonight. The rear of the tank had three good sized outward bulges which rested against the rear of the cab. There are 3 raised/ribbed areas stamped into the rear of the cab that aligned with the bulges, and they are all dented outward. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Not sure how the tank could have gotten damaged, maybe it was removed and got damaged outside of the truck, after 49 years who knows?

I could probably hammer them inward, and keep the tank, but I like the extra room there is with it out of the cab.
NWDave

Post by NWDave »

I spoke to some locals, and 2 guys had similar problems with a Ford, and a Chevy truck with in-cab tanks. Both were caused by unvented gas caps, coupled with a full tank in the Summer sun!

I have the factory under the bed tank, with the left side fill, so it will be my primary tank.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"cep62"]
basketcase0302 wrote:Then you should consider the EB tank and you can then utilize the dentside gas filler door, (grafted into the side of your truck bed):

I used one to get by in my plow truck, (strapped in the back) , the only problem I see is capacity .

I thought I heard about someone using a International Scout tank ,that has a side fill tube and holds 19 gallons.
I sold some fuel line yesterday and that topic came up, (how many "gas stations per trip"). :lol:

Here's a 23 gallon tank that bolts between the rear frame rails of the bump but hang onto your wallet! :eek:

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1966-1 ... nfo/10204/
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4