Straight Answer About Crooked Wheels / F-100

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

FarmTruckSteve71

Straight Answer About Crooked Wheels / F-100

Post by FarmTruckSteve71 »

Greetings All,

I'm the new owner of an old 1971 f100 Ranger. 360 /5.9 2WD
I've always wanted one and now she's mine.
It was a gamble on eBay and supposedly from a farm in Virginia and now she's a "City Girl" living in Staten Island, NYC.
Unfortunately, I have little if no auto mechanic skills but I've got the time and desire to learn
at the young age of 59:-)
I do however have a great friend who does know his way around a old classic like my truck and we're making progress
little by little.
New Rag Joint/Steering Coupler, rewired half the electrical system. Rebuilt carburetor, a little this and that.
The biggest job so far has been replacing cab mounts and floor pans due to rust. Now that that safety issue is out of the way
I'm looking forward to a lot of little cosmetic fun stuff with the exception of one.
My front wheels have a positive camber and after watching a few youtube videos it appears I'm in search of specific year and model
"Camber Bushings", except each and every time I check all the usual suspects, (Part Vendors) they either do not carry the part entirely
or the site states not for my vehicle. Or perhaps there is a deeper, darker evil at play here.
Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and would get me on my way to Farm Truck Bliss.
Good to meet you all and have a great day!

Steve
Ranchero50

Re: Straight Answer About Crooked Wheels / F-100

Post by Ranchero50 »

Camber on our trucks is a function of the axle beam angle and ride height. Positive camber, tops closer than bottom right? If so look for where the springs were cut to lower the truck. Verify stock ride height via the base fordification page or Google images too. Same for the bottoms being closer together, expect the springs to be too tall. You can also look to see if the I beams were bent (looks for heat distortion).
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
DuckRyder

Re: Straight Answer About Crooked Wheels / F-100

Post by DuckRyder »

Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper