72 tub repair channel / sill / crossmember?

Moderator: FORDification

efy72

72 tub repair channel / sill / crossmember?

Post by efy72 »

Hi All,

My 1972 f100 tub is in for repair i stopped by the shop to check on the sandblasting.

The front channel / crossmember / sill is in pretty rough shape, what do people typically do in this situation?

i found this on another site, i assume the rectangle part could be used a replacement that would get away with not doing crush tubes etc?

Also most of the floor has been cutout, the body shop guy wants to put diamond plate over the whole floor, i'm in Australia and have very little access to panels or replacement sections. What do others do in this situation?

Thanks all.
ButtaBean

Re: 72 tub repair channel / sill / crossmember?

Post by ButtaBean »

Diamond plate kinda looks crappy sometimes. A wood bed floor is much more sexy and not terribly expensive or difficult to build.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

If I were in the same situation, I would find some rectangular tubing close to that size and modify it to fit. Drill holes, cut sides, scab plates, box the ends, whatever it took to get close. Tubing would stronger and less opportunity to rust out from the inside if you close off the ends.

I second the wood floor, and it's replaceable.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

I don't know if money is an issue, but if you can find a wrecked late model box you could " adapt" the floor to yours.
You might even be able to buy a new center section and supports for a newer box. :hmm:
efy72

Post by efy72 »

ButtaBean wrote:Diamond plate kinda looks crappy sometimes. A wood bed floor is much more sexy and not terribly expensive or difficult to build.
I tend to agree, not a huge diamond plate fan, i looked some time ago at alternatives but was hoping the floor could be salvaged. I like the wood in the step sides and early f-trucks not sure about in a 70's.
efy72

Post by efy72 »

cep62 wrote:I don't know if money is an issue, but if you can find a wrecked late model box you could " adapt" the floor to yours.
You might even be able to buy a new center section and supports for a newer box. :hmm:
Very limited here for options, the tub is quite large in comparison to the tubs available. I think its a good plan though, i'm going to go to the wreckers over the weekend and measure a few up. thanks.
71cc

Post by 71cc »

If you go to a fab or sheet metal shop with a press brake they could form up a corrugated panel to your specs. Shouldn't be too expensive. 16 ga would be plenty thick. Just watched a show where they had one made.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

from a practical standpoint diamond plate sucks, trust me. Nothing slides over it and it's a PITA to sweep out. As said above, find a newer bed and 'retrofit' its center section into your bed is the simplest repair. The bump frame centerline is narrower than most newer beds so it shouldn't be horrible getting a panel that can be cut down to fit.

Per the crush tube, install them in anything you use for the bed frame. Drill through the bolt size and then step up to the crsuch tube size on the top side. Weld them together and grind / flap wheel flush.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.