While the Bed is Off

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

lloyd70cs

While the Bed is Off

Post by lloyd70cs »

Hi guys,

I've got the bed off the truck (1970 F250 CS 2wd with T18, Dana 3.73) to paint the frame and thought maybe I should deal with the Pinion Seal, as I had a leak at the front of the diff. Also thought about dealing with the u-joints too since everything is accessible. I started tearing into it and realized I had no idea what I was doing (common problem :D ). I've watched a video on this but it was a newer dana diff. It may come as a surprise, but its my first rebuild, which I'm taking my time with. Can someone tell me the process? Here's what I'm working with.
Driveshaft.jpg
Just got one bolt left to undo on the rear connection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranchero50

Re: While the Bed is Off

Post by Ranchero50 »

Remove the U bolts, knock the U joint loose being careful to keep the caps on so the rollers don't escape. Once that's out, an impact and socket to fit the pinion nut. Once removed, knock the yoke off the pinion gear and you can pry / drive the seal out of the housing. Expect to loose some oil during the process.

The problem is due to it's design, the pinion nut sets the bearing load and radial looseness. This can be a challenge to a neophyte. You are supposed to use a new crush washer and torque the nut to a specific foot pounds.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
lloyd70cs

Post by lloyd70cs »

thanks! I think I read that the yoke nut is torqued to 300 lbs? radial looseness? is that backlash? I watched a video that showed that. the guy just counted threads on the yoke jut for that
lloyd70cs

Post by lloyd70cs »

hmmm. neophyte is a good description. I spoke to my mechanic. by his description it sounds like a job for experienced people. and as for u joints sounds like if there isn't any play in them just leave them. if it ain't broke...

that would allow me to move on to other neophyte approved items

thanks again