Need AOD advice

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Ford-f100-1972

Need AOD advice

Post by Ford-f100-1972 »

Hello everyone,

I could use some advise on my ailing AOD.

I rebuilt and added a Transgo shift improver kit to an AOD from an '89 Mustang GT and swapped it into my '72 F100 with a 302 about 5000 miles ago. It was working great until the front pump bushing worked it's way out of the bore and into the front seal, puking out a bunch of fluid.

I decided to replace the pump with an NOS replacement since the old pump wouldn't hold a new bushing as tight as it should and changed out the torque converter with a stock stall reman unit. I also replaced.the valve body with an NOS unit and transferred the Transgo components from the old VB to the new one. The old VB was showing it's age and had been slightly buggered up by someone before I got the AOD.

The transmission is shifting up through the 4 gears fairly well. Downshifting is not so good. 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st are dragging the rpms down close to stalling the engine before shifting down. Along with this, the truck wants to roll forward in neutral, like 1st is slightly engaged. When I put it in reverse, it acts like it's in both reverse and 1st at the same time. The truck will move backwards but takes more pressure on the accelerator to get it to move and the truck stops instantly when I take my foot off the gas, just like if I hit the brakes.

The TV pressure was set to about 5 psi at idle and 35 psi with a 10 mm spacer inserted in the TV cable. Shifts seem firm without being harsh.

Any ideas on what could be causing these problems would be greatly appreciated.
Ford-f100-1972

Re: Need AOD advice

Post by Ford-f100-1972 »

Never mind. I figured it out.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Do tell! What was the deal?
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Ford-f100-1972

Post by Ford-f100-1972 »

Well, the Torrington bearing for the forward clutch drum decided to destroy itself and sent shrapnel in the direction of the reverse.sprag, taking it out also. Explains why it wanted to move in two directions at the same time.

It amazes me that there were never any noises from the trans when this all happened. Luckily all i really need to replace is the bearing, sprag and the forward clutch hub that the bearing rides against. Going to also replace the forward clutches and all bearings while I'm at it and clean the heck out of everything.

Just lucky it didn't do more damage! :o
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Definitely lucky that's all. Thanks for filling us in!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.