Preserve patina 1969 F250

Moderator: FORDification

Fordinblue20

Preserve patina 1969 F250

Post by Fordinblue20 »

Hello,

I have a 1969 F250 in rough condition as you can see but I actually like the way the paint looks as is. I have watched tons of videos on YouTube on how to preserve it but Believe it or not I’m still unsure how to do this without completely messing this up. I don’t even know where to start or what I need..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fordinblue20

Re: Preserve patina 1969 F250

Post by Fordinblue20 »

JamesNewman wrote:I feel ya with "likin it as is". I've always been a fan of rust coloration too :D
Are you planning on giving the entire body a do-over? Seems to me like the hood might be over the hill ... :hmm:
sorry I can't really give you any tips on exactly how to do it, but as you've already found out youtube has everything nowadays - but it's on YOU to actually take action and "jus fuqin do it" :rock:
because that's where the magic lies.

"Whether you think you CAN, or think you CAN'T;
you're right."
- Henry Ford
I appreciate the feedback! I’m going to try a bunch of different methods on test spots of the truck. I really do not want to do the body over right now. I’m looking for the cheapest way to preserve what I have because in my complex someone keeps hitting my 06 mustang GT. I would be extremely pissed if I spent 10k on a fresh paint job.. just to come outside and find a dent in my door. I just need something to get me through until next year when I purchase a home.
Idaho Chris

Post by Idaho Chris »

Fordinblue20 wrote:
I appreciate the feedback! I’m going to try a bunch of different methods on test spots of the truck. ...
Maybe you could find an old POS hood off another vehicle at the local junk yard to experiment with? It would be a shame to ruin a spot on your truck by testing a procedure that didn't work out for you.

Just a thought...

Either way, I'll be interested to read what you learn!
-Chris
1969 F250 4x4 4spd 300 I6
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Pick up a case of your favorite satin clear lacquer and spray bomb away. I recently did this on my Jag where the clear was bubbling with a can of wood refinishing spray in semi gloss. Seriously...

I felt like such a dirty person but it worked out well.

From a whole lot of this...

To this. You can still see where the clear is gone but it blends in well from 5-10'

You will want to degrease it since lacquer will fish eye easily. For rusty and crusty a satin clear will look good and keep the surface from getting worse. Won't help anything coming through the back side though but...
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Fordinblue20

Post by Fordinblue20 »

Idaho Chris wrote:
Fordinblue20 wrote:
I appreciate the feedback! I’m going to try a bunch of different methods on test spots of the truck. ...
Maybe you could find an old POS hood off another vehicle at the local junk yard to experiment with? It would be a shame to ruin a spot on your truck by testing a procedure that didn't work out for you.

Just a thought...

Either way, I'll be interested to read what you learn!

That’s a great idea! I’m going to search around and see what I can find. I will definitely post pictures of my progress. The truck looks good to me the way it is but I know at some point I will probably have to repaint it.
Fordinblue20

Post by Fordinblue20 »

Ranchero50 wrote:Pick up a case of your favorite satin clear lacquer and spray bomb away. I recently did this on my Jag where the clear was bubbling with a can of wood refinishing spray in semi gloss. Seriously...

I felt like such a dirty person but it worked out well.

From a whole lot of this...

To this. You can still see where the clear is gone but it blends in well from 5-10'

You will want to degrease it since lacquer will fish eye easily. For rusty and crusty a satin clear will look good and keep the surface from getting worse. Won't help anything coming through the back side though but...
That blends in very well..I will pick some up and give it a shot. I am going to search around my local junkyard for some old beat up hoods, doors whatever I can find and see what I can do. Hopefully, I can get some of this done this weekend!
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Ok, against my better instincts I’ll chime in. My attitude about ‘patina’ is it looks hokey sprayed over with clear coat.

Patina is a big trend now.
I would scrub the rusty panels thoroughly to clean off the dirt and grease, then call it good. Of course if there is any rot, that s/b taken care of properly. :thup:
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yes, not a fan of shiny patina but am all for preserving what's there now.

I sprayed my truck with cosmoline last fall because it was going to be driven in the salt.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
swbeck18

Post by swbeck18 »

I have the same truck (69 F250 CS) in Boxwood green with white and I'm thinking of doing the same thing and preserve as much of the original patina as possible. Eastwood Products actually makes a product called "patina preserver" but I don't know a lot about it other than checking their website.

So far I've used medium steel wool on mine to knock off some of the surface rust. If it would stay that way I'd be happy, but I know it won't. That's why I'm looking for some type of product.
1969 F250 Camper Special, 360
2012 F150 4x4 Lariat, 3.5 EcoBoost