PaPa's 69 F100 Explorer Coyote 10R80 swap

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: PaPa's 69 F100 Explorer

Post by Venomous duck »

I called Ford Performance and talked to one of their tech reps. I explained that I received the wrong engine in my package. He said that the boss takes care of these kind of issues. He asked that I email pictures and explain the situation. I did this and after 3 days of no contact I called Summit. I explained the situation to them. They said they would send out the correct engine. I would need to send this one back. The next day I received an email from Ford Performance saying they would send a new take off flexplate and bolts. I responded and told him that Summit was sending a new engine due to the fact that we did not know what else was different. I already knew that I needed the separator plate, flexplate with bolts and the wire harness for the automatic transmission. The next day he responded that the engine harnesses were the same on the manual and auto on Gen 3 engines. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 are different on the two different engines. The transmission harness on Gen 3 is divorced from the engine harness. At this point I unpacked the control package and found in the bottom a flexplate and bolts. Why does Ford not know they were in there? I finally had to call them to ask if there are any other differences. According to Ford Performance the only difference is the flexplate/flywheel and starter index plate. I began to wonder if they are shipping manual transmission engines in place of the auto for some reason. They had no answer. I called Summit and asked them if they had any information on Ford substituting manual engines in place of automatics. They had no answer either. Judging from the fact that the flexplate and bolts were in the kit leads me to think that this is what is happening. However for all I know the auto version is sent without the flexplate installed. I guess I really don't know if this a boxing error or a substitution by Ford for some reason. There is no checklist in the package or on the Ford website so there is no way to know what is actually in the pack. In fact there are no instructions for the kit, just the control pack. Information is severely lacking. Anyway I called Summit back and cancelled the second engine they were sending. I just hope this doesn't come back and bite me in the butt.
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Minor update. I got my headers and mount kit from Fat Fender Garage. The mounts come arrived in raw steel. I finished the powdercoating on those.
Mount Kit Raw.JPG
Mount kit Coated.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

I also managed to get the control pack and other parts unpacked.
Control pack 1.JPG
Control pack 2.JPG
Control pack 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

More
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

There is a lot in here
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

This is about it for now.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

:D

Cant wait!
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Me either
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

This is the hardware from Fat Fender Garage for the mount kit. Since I have plated all the original bolts then these will stand out like a sore thumb. Of course the solution is to replate all of it.
Hardware 3.JPG
replated mount hardware.JPG
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

The engine has an oil cooler on it. It connects to the lower radiator hose and uses coolant to cool the oil. The hose that they include does not have a provision to hook up the cooler. It really can't be used as is anyway because it is so big it does not fit in most chassis. The options are 1) Use a Mustang hose with the cooler provision if you have the room. 2) Remove the cooler and install an aftermarket remote cooler. 3) Remove the cooler and install an oil filter relocation kit. Most do this. 4) Remove the cooler and install a Ford oil filter nipple and reinstall the filter. Since I believe I have the room I chose this option. I may change to an oil cooler later if I think I need it.
Oil Cooler 1.JPG
Oil Cooler 2 (2).jpg
Oil Nipple.JPG
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Here it is installed.
oil cooler 3.JPG
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Next I had to remove the flywheel and install the flexplate.
Auto Flexplate.JPG
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Next I had to mate the transmission to the engine.
TQ3.JPG
Engine and trans mated.JPG
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I see this being a very expensive thread for me…
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

That's what my wife said!