Hello, from Sunbury, OH; '67 F250

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

OneLeggedBiker

Hello, from Sunbury, OH; '67 F250

Post by OneLeggedBiker »

Hey everyone!

So, I recently picked up a 1967 F250 to use as a shop truck, mostly for parts runs and picking up motorcycles. I work from home doing motorcycle customization, fabrication, and service so I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. The truck seems to be in great shape but of course has some flaws. I'd like to say it's all original but, it's not. At some point a 302 was placed in the truck and the rating plate on the driver side door says it should have the 6-Cyl 240 CID 1V. I failed to do my research on how to identify everything before going and then my lust for an old truck got the better of me. :roll: But, I'm in no way upset about it. I'm glad I got it and look forward to wrenching on it and bringing into a new life.

I've currently pulled it into my shop to begin de-greasing, identifying main components, and formulating a plan of attack so any tips on what I should do first would be much appreciated. I have purchased the shop manuals but realize that won't help me with the motor. So, any advice on what type of manual or spec information I can get there would be appreciated. She ran like a top when I pulled it in but there is years and years of grease and grime on the motor, rubbers rotting, and gaskets are dried out and leaking. I'm not sure if this is over zealous but my goal is to at a minimum get the cab and body off of it this winter and paint the frame. Then start knocking things out one by one. I wanted to do a true restore but knowing the engine is not correct and with no desire to get rid of it until I'm dead and gone I've also toyed with the idea of doing a retro mod. I do plan to drive it and not just on the weekends. But at this point in time it's all just spit balling ideas and trying to figure out which direction to go. Any ideas?

I look forward to learning from you all and sharing my progress through this adventure.

Dru Furan
A one legged biker always wandering in an attempt to become lost... a rambler. One of the the last true pursuers of our unalienable rights.

1967 F250 2wd - Cast Stamp '72 302, Dana #60, 4 on the floor
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Hello, from Sunbury, OH; '67 F250

Post by 390FE1972 »

:wel: from Colorado! In regards to my engine, it looked about the same as yours when I started. I used a scraper and dawn dish soap, along with some other chemical degreasers to clean my engine. I took off parts like the fan, and pulleys etc. and cleaned and painted them one at a time. It takes some efforts to get it all cleaned up. It would be easier if the front clip was off, when you do the cab pull to do the frame. Nice looking truck by the way. Looks like you have a good starting point. Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

:wel: from 40 miles north of you!

My :2cents: is restomod......it's not original anymore so have a little fun with it! Looks like a good clean bump so IMHO you didn't go wrong even though the engine's been changed..... :wink:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:wel: from Georgia! Looks like a great truck! Check out the build thread in my signature to let you know what you're in for. :lol: :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

Hello

Looks like a good 67 to me and I know what you mean by buying on emotion. It can get ya, but you have one now so the fun begins.

cstoyer
68 F250 4x4
OneLeggedBiker

Post by OneLeggedBiker »

390FE1972 wrote:It would be easier if the front clip was off, when you do the cab pull to do the frame.

@390FE1972 I'm currently building a plan of action with Excel file and step by step processes, notes, part #'s, cost, cast #'s, diagrams,etc. I have a road map for this adventure started... I'm looking to start asap but I'm a motorcycle guy and really anal about processes. And, since the truck is in such great shape I want to avoid minimize headaches dealing with things that could have been prevented or avoided with proper planning. It's like I'm in the calculating rake and trail stage.

I got 2 books on 302 motors, rebuilds, etc. and my factory shop manuals for everything else.

In regards to pulling the front clip, can this be done with the motor still in the engine compartment? Or should I pull the motor and then do the front clip? I'm guessing that the front clip should go first but that's just me assuming.

So far it's looking something like this...
Dru Furan
A one legged biker always wandering in an attempt to become lost... a rambler. One of the the last true pursuers of our unalienable rights.

1967 F250 2wd - Cast Stamp '72 302, Dana #60, 4 on the floor