So I was changing out the shifter seal, when...

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

UKPR1

So I was changing out the shifter seal, when...

Post by UKPR1 »

...I cranked on the larger nut securing the arm to the inside of the C6 transmission, to remove it from the side of the casing. I didn't hold the arm on the outside of the tranny when I did it and before the nut released, I think I moved the transmission out of park (that's what it sounded like anyway, when you shift the transmission. Thank God I had the wheels chocked...). I immediately tried to shift it back by tightening the nut, but it didn't want to shift back. The indicator on the steering column still shows Park. How screwed am I? I'm not worried that I broke something, but I am worried about things lining up when I try and get the valve body back on.
And on the subject of seals...anyone have any tips on getting the larger one out of the side? Must have spent an hour trying to pick and lever it out without tearing up the bore it's in and gave up when the sun went down...

Thanks in advance!

Geoff
UKPR1

Re: So I was changing out the shifter seal, when...

Post by UKPR1 »

So for anyone else in this situation, here's what needs to be done:

the tapered parking rod dislodged itself from the rear of the transmission cavity and needed to be reinserted and pushed into the Park position while it's bracket is secured to the shift lever in the side of the casing. If the transmission is in Park, this parking rod can only be secured in the correct position and requires a little pressure to stay in it's spring loaded receptacle.

With regards to my particularly stubborn seal that was stuck in the side of the casing...I applied a micro-torch to it to melt/soften the rubber grabbing onto the sides of the bore that it is set in. Once I did this, the seal popped right out.