Hydro boost or vacuum pump

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Ohgoose

Hydro boost or vacuum pump

Post by Ohgoose »

Have a question about the pros and cons of a hydro boost or vacuum pump brake set up.

I have a 67 that I am building a 351W stroked to 408 and will not have enough vacuum for a conventional booster set up. I have converted to 4 wheel discs (Wilwood) and want to know the if I can still use the power bendix gear box (rebuilt by Bluetop) and a new factory style pump. Will run a Wilwood master and portioning valve.

After looking around it seems that both set ups are close in cost so it’s a matter of preference - running a lot of hoses for the hydro boost or finding a “quite” vacuum pump.

Would appreciate any info or feedback from people who have done one of these set ups.
IML726

Re: Hydro boost or vacuum pump

Post by IML726 »

I'm in a similar boat as you. I called Wilwood and they recommended I call ABS Power Brake in Orange, CA. They can answer your questions and put together a kit for you.
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Hydro boost or vacuum pump

Post by Zorm »

I have not done the hydro boost set up on the Fords but am working on one for my 83 Cherokee with a 351W. One of the Full Size jeep guys made the bracket for that application. Bought brackets from Battle Born brakes for the 73-79 Ford truck application but they should fit my 71 F-250

why go this route? WAYYYYY better braking, especially if your towing or hauling (not always the same thing). I helped another FSJ guy do this to his Grand Wagoneer and holy cow!!! what a difference!!! this is even better then a ole duel diaphragm brake booster.

one write up
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8720 ... ne-12.html

It appears, for the fords, get the hydro boost out of a 99-2004 Ford super duty, the master cylinder from a 78/79 F250/350 (ports are on the fender side) and hoses as needed. Thing is, our stock wimpy power steering pumps are maxed out or can hardly handle full braking and turning at the same time.

The fix was a heavy duty power steering pump that could handle both and yet, not be the typical noisy ford PS pump. Enter, the Saginaw power steering pump used in GM applications. Part # for these were Cardone 206244 and Napa NSP 816795. By the way, these have been discontinued years ago. From what I have read, they had the mounting for Ford applications, (evenly spaced mounting holes, GM has strange spaced mounting holes) were powerful enough and were quiet.

The trick is now, and what I am looking for, is a feasible replacement for that Steering pump that is not expensive. Wild horses 4X4 has a Delphi duel return pump, (not really needed for hydro boost, adds more hoses to engine bay) not sure if it will bolt up to our stock power steering pump bracket.

I'm gonna "bite the bullet" and get a new hydro boost unit from AZ part# 52-7357 ($229.00). The master cylinder from AZ, p# NM1854 ($54.00). I will still be searching for a better PS pump. Its does not need to be duel return, a "T" for both boost and steering return lines will be good enough. It also wouldn't hurt to have one of those power steering coolers I have and have seen in other bump sides.

Once everything is together, you still will need to bleed not only your brakes, but the hydro boost system also. The wright up mentions this and to use a clear return line hose so you can see when all the air bubbles are gone. I would think, but not really needed, front of truck on jack stands, turn steering wheel while pumping brakes and have some one watch the fluid level and top off as needed.

Folks have mentioned "what happens if the engine dies" well, unlike normal power brakes, you now have manual braking, these unit have a little reservoir, that can looking thing on the side, this is there just for that reason, should be enough fluid to stop safely if that happens. These units can also be mounted upside-down for engine fitment reasons. The reservoir would be on the upper right vise the lower left. Still acts the same, just takes longer to bleed the system of air after install or replacement of hoses or pump.

I'll toss up pics but it may be a while, got a few other projects going.
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life