Crankshaft ID Help

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Clunker

Crankshaft ID Help

Post by Clunker »

It's been a long time since I sold my bump, but I need some help from the only forum that was ever helpful when she needed work. I never converted the 360 to a 390, but I still have the parts, and I've posted them on Craigslist since it's unlikely I'll ever need them. The question is about the crankshaft. The guy who sold it to me said it was out of a 427, but it could just as easily be out of a 390. I just want to be honest with buyers because a 427 crank is probably worth a lot more than a 390. Casting number is C4AE-B. Google was not helpful.

One source says all 427 cranks have grooved main journals. Another source says that's not true. One source says all 427 cranks were forged steel. Another source says some were cast iron. I'm fairly certain that the crank is cast iron (no $ in the casting), but I'm at my whits end trying to figure out what this thing is. Even if it came out of a 427, is there any real difference in value if it is identical to one that came out of a 390? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Crankshaft ID Help

Post by basketcase0302 »

="Clunker"It's been a long time since I sold my bump, but I need some help from the only forum that was ever helpful when she needed work. I never converted the 360 to a 390, but I still have the parts, and I've posted them on Craigslist since it's unlikely I'll ever need them. The question is about the crankshaft. The guy who sold it to me said it was out of a 427, but it could just as easily be out of a 390. I just want to be honest with buyers because a 427 crank is probably worth a lot more than a 390. Casting number is C4AE-B. Google was not helpful.

One source says all 427 cranks have grooved main journals. Another source says that's not true. One source says all 427 cranks were forged steel. Another source says some were cast iron. I'm fairly certain that the crank is cast iron (no $ in the casting), but I'm at my whits end trying to figure out what this thing is. Even if it came out of a 427, is there any real difference in value if it is identical to one that came out of a 390? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not really of much help, (but it will at least bump the thread back up so maybe someone who knows sees it).

The only way I know is by measuring the stroke to positive ID a 360 or a 390, (with the engine assembled).
Surely there is an FE forum somewhere here on the net that could help? :pray:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4