Radius arm bolt

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

M-100

Radius arm bolt

Post by M-100 »

Does anyone know who sells radius arm bolts. The big bolt that holds the spring ,I beam and radius arm together.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Radius arm bolt

Post by basketcase0302 »

Green Sales would prob have it if you can't find it anywhere else, (but NOS price might not be cheap).

http://greensalescompany.com/
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
M-100

Post by M-100 »

I found new bolts but the threads were to short. I found a solution also. I had a machinist cut more threads on the bolts.
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

M-100 wrote:I found new bolts but the threads were to short. I found a solution also. I had a machinist cut more threads on the bolts.
I wouldn't do that on such a critical component.

Bolt threads are rolled, there is no material taken away from the bolt shank and the threads are created through impacting the surface which also prevents stress risers in the surface of the bolt and maintains grain. A cut thread is significantly weaker than a rolled thread, you will not be able to torque the bolt to the correct yield safely. Cutting threads on a bolt shank, especially on such a critical bolt, is not safe.

If common fastener stores do not have the bolt size you need, check with an aeronautical supply shop.

I would highly suggest using hardened washers to take up the shank length so you can apply a proper clamp load rather than cutting threads onto an existing bolt. Don't cut new threads.
-Michael
M-100

Post by M-100 »

Thanks Mad I didn't know that. What about a bolt that has been heated . I had to use a torch on the nuts to get them off
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

M-100 wrote:What about a bolt that has been heated . I had to use a torch on the nuts to get them off
As long as you didn't burn the bolt, discolor it, or grossly heated it unevenly, it should be fine to reuse.
I've reused fasteners I've heated up to break free, it's common enough to do.
If heat was applied evenly and the bolt/nut is not discolored, it should be fine to reuse.
-Michael
M-100

Post by M-100 »

The nuts took the brunt of the heat. They are easy to replace . So I will use new nuts and old bolts. Thanks again mad you helped me to not get in a bad situation.