Body Swap

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

Special_Nick

Body Swap

Post by Special_Nick »

Good Afternoon,

I have a 1970 F100 2WD, and recently purchased a 1970 F100 4WD. The body on the 71 is shot, but everything else is good. 302 with a 4 speed manual. I am wanting to take my 70 body, and put it on the 71 frame. I'm trying to gather info to begin to have an idea of how labor intensive this project will be, and what kind of realistic timeline I can come up with. Im am mechanically inclined and have a decent inventory of tools. Would a month of weekends be doable? What are some odd ball things to look out for? I assume swapping the body and mounting it up is the easies part. I believe I read something about drivers side inner fender well being different due to power steering. If anyone has done this before and can give me a list, or just some good general info, I would greatly appreciate it.

Nick
"Special Nick"
1970 F100 Ranger XLT Heavy Duty Special
1971 F100 4x4
2010 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Body Swap

Post by cep62 »

Back when I was young and ambitious I swapped one out on a long holiday weekend.
I was under pressure to get it done and my mess cleaned up before work resumed on Tuesday morning.
Depending on the 2wd transmission you may have to cut the floor and put on the cover from the 4wd.
I'd plan on new poly cab mount bushings . I doubt the old ones are any good.
Then you might want to plan on a 78-79 front axle swap with disc brakes and power steering.
Special_Nick

Re: Body Swap

Post by Special_Nick »

Thanks for the reply. The trans in the 2WD is auto and in the 4WD (we'll call donor) it's a manual 4 speed. So that issue is already on my list. The donor already has power steering but it's drum brakes on all 4 corners. I'm researching the axle swap that you mentioned. I appreciate all the info you chimed in with, thanks again.
"Special Nick"
1970 F100 Ranger XLT Heavy Duty Special
1971 F100 4x4
2010 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins