Dual fuel tanks

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Ferris95

Dual fuel tanks

Post by Ferris95 »

Hello, I have the 1968 Camper special that someone took out the cab fuel tank and patched over the fuel inlet in the body. I am trying to decide between a few avenues here and wanted to see what people thought. I am getting a new Holley Street Warrior carb, Performer RPM intake and new fuel pump, so want an entirely clean fuel system.

1: Replace the frame rail mounted tank, sending unit, lines and all other parts.

2. Install new cab mounted tank with all new parts.

3. Take out frame rail mounted tank and just install cab mounted tank.

4. Install all new parts and tanks for both.

Also, if none, are the tanks and parts better at any particular parts website? I am using LMC because they make it so easy to see every part and what you need for the complete fuel system. But I also have the catalogs for Dennis Carpenter and NPD. Just not as easy to make sure I get everything.
68 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 390 FE
Retired Army
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Dual fuel tanks

Post by cep62 »

Even though I have in cab tanks I wouldn't put one back in if I had another setup.
instead of replacing everything couldn't you just clean up the existing tank ?
Is there any problems now ?
Ferris95

Post by Ferris95 »

I am putting in a new carb, intake and fuel pump and want to make sure I don’t have any old rust or gunk getting into my new carb. A new tank is only a couple hundreds buck and worth it to me. So might as well replace all the components like hoses and clamps and sending unit while at it. Only problem is, I don’t see anyone that has the steel fuel line for the factory side mount gas tank. Lot of options for the in-cab tank. I’m fine with keeping just the side mount tank and not getting the in-cab tank, and I am leaning that way as I won’t have to recut the hole in the cab for the filler neck. So if anyone can tell me where to get the steel fuel line for the side mount tank to the fuel pump, that would be great! Also, can’t find the filler neck grommet for a 1968. They have them for the in-cab 1968 or the side mount for the 70-72.
68 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 390 FE
Retired Army
Silverflash

Post by Silverflash »

I replaced my in-cab tank with the under bed driver's side LMC tank and just used a stock 6 ft length of 3/8" fuel line from the local parts house and a reducer to 5/16" to connect to the original line before the fuel pump.
I'm no help on the grommet as I brought up the filler tube and vent to the inside of the bed thru the double wall.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

My vote was always for the Early Bronco tank as it mounts in between the rear frame rails nicely AND DOESN'T REQUIRE YOU TO BUTCHER THE REAR BED AREA LIKE THE STANG' TANK SO...MANY HERE HAVE DONE. With the EB tank you can use a dent era bed gas filler door and have the fill in the side bed area just like the dents. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4