67-72 F250 front disc caliper spec Q

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

ChrisB

67-72 F250 front disc caliper spec Q

Post by ChrisB »

I did a drum to disc swap years ago. The two piston calipers have this relatively massive bolt, probably two each. I did not check torque before I installed and the right side backed out. I put it back together in the field and never lost fluid but that side has never grabbed correctly in minimal miles I drove it since. I have had a replacement reman caliper waiting to go on for a while now. I am going to correct the issue tomorrow as I am pulling the truck out of what has been mostly storage for years now, though the truck gets driven at least 4 times a year and has held up fine.

Anyone have the torque spec for those massive bolts and any other other spec I guess just the mounting bolts if they use em. It’s been a whole so I don’t recall what’s there. Gonna keep it on the road a while again, have it do some work and stretch it’s legs a bit. ;-)
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 67-72 F250 front disc caliper spec Q

Post by cep62 »

I don't know the specs for those , but if you determine the bolt size you can look up a general torque chart.
get a open end wrench that fits over the threads as a size gauge.
3/8 , 7/16 or 1/2 would be the most likely.
zgerbic

Post by zgerbic »

The 69 truck manual indicates for front disk brakes, the torque for the anchor plate to the spindle should be 55-75 ft-lbs. I would use a little blue locktite on the threads just in case. Brake shoe and caliper mounting pins should be 17-23 ft-lbs. The bolts are probably 1/2-13 but could be 1/2-20.

Check things over carefully as being able to stop is a lot more important than being able to go.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Turns out I forgot I have the manual. It’s 155-185 ft lbs for those baseplate bolts. Input em at 155 with some loctite. Why the one caliper is only clamping partially is a mystery. I will replace both calipers shortly which should correct things.