I can't remove my driveshaft!

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

I can't remove my driveshaft!

Post by dcbullet »

Aren't I supposed to be able to just pull the driveshaft off this splined end?

The other side is already disconnected from the diff and I'm pulling with all my might and it won't budge. Any tips?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: I can't remove my driveshaft!

Post by FORDification »

That's a sure sign of inadequate lubrication. When I removed one that was stuck on a parts truck, I had to use an axle puller, which is basically a slide-hammer. A few taps rearward popped it right off. Don't try beating it off with a regular hammer, or you're gonna mess something up.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

yes it should pull off. maybe some grease in it would help but you can take a sledge and hit the yoke backwards and it should drive it off. just don't beat the h*ll out of it and break something.
steveheer

Post by steveheer »

Gee, I wonder what those splines are going to look like once you do get the slip yolk off???
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: I can't remove my driveshaft!

Post by dcbullet »

FORDification wrote:That's a sure sign of inadequate lubrication. When I removed one that was stuck on a parts truck, I had to use an axle puller, which is basically a slide-hammer. A few taps rearward popped it right off. Don't try beating it off with a regular hammer, or you're gonna mess something up.
Did you attached the puller to the end of the driveshaft or had your removed the driveshaft already and attached it to the 6 inch long flange?

Maybe I'll lube it up and give this a try.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I was removing the rear driveshaft, and had disconnected it from the differential, but couldn't get it to pull free at the other end. I just jury-rigged the end of the puller onto the U-joint at the end of the driveshaft, and gave it a few good bangs with the hammer and it popped off. The splines were just gummed up from dried-up grease, just needed cleaned off and everything was as good as new.

Well, except for my knuckles. The first time I attached the slide-hammer wasn't the best, and it came loose, causing me to smash the #$%& out of my hand. After jumping around and cursing for a few minutes, I regained my composure and reattached a little better this time, and it came off.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Thanks for the info Keith. And the warning!
bleedfordblue

Post by bleedfordblue »

I did that once... only I wrapped a chain around the shaft and passed it under the rearend. I pulled it apart with another truck!

Maybe I'm not the one to be giving advice....... :doh:
I'd rather be shooting yankees....

and terrorists.
xxxtina63
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by xxxtina63 »

Since the slip yoke looks to be dry, you might have luck by heating it up with a torch so it will expand a bit.
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

What if you were to soak it with some PB Blaster?
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Sharkdance »

Aren't you supposed to loosen the seal before you pull them apart?
See that little cap on the end of the yoke? Turn it to the left and it should unscrew a little.
Clean the grease fitting and pump it full of grease, support the other end of the driveshaft, and a combination of pull on it and tap it apart on the backside of the yoke with a hammer.

I wouldn't heat it up because you might melt the rubber in the carrier brg that is supporting that end of the shaft. At the very least, you will melt the grease out of it.

I marked mine before I pulled them apart because someone told me that those splines will fit back together 180° and if you put the two shafts back together differently then they will be "Out of phase" causing a lot of vibration because the two shafts Aren't balanced with each other.
Said you would have to have a driveline machine shop re-balance them as a unit if they get "Out of phase".
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: I can't remove my driveshaft!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Sharkdance wrote:Aren't you supposed to loosen the seal before you pull them apart?
See that little cap on the end of the yoke? Turn it to the left and it should unscrew a little.
Yup. That's what you have to do to get them apart.
Mine wouldn't come apart until I loosened that cap, then they parted ways easily.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

wow i forgot about that myself. i didn't even have to loosen mine when i took it apart. i didn't mark it either but it didn't vibrate after i put it back on either.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Hey guys. Well, I did remove the cap and seal, just not in that picture. I tried a bunch of ways but after an hour or so I gave up and took both driveshafts to my machine shop. Took three guys and their vice and a drift, 15 minutes, etc, etc but now it's apart. Best $35 I spent today. As he said, "It's not how hard you hit it, it's how you hit it hard."

Actually, the splines look perfectly fine. I think that just all that surface area mated up over the years fuses itself together. I'll be using A LOT of lube when I put it back together.

Thanks for you input.
19674x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 19674x4 »

directions-park truck at top of hill, wrap chain around yoke and the other end to chevy, take the chevys e-brake off and let it go down hill, move away from flying driveshaft zone , go to bottom of hill and retrieve driveshaft, pour gas over chevy and light to remove evidence of your finger prints on a UHOM(un-identified hunk of metal). :lol: :twisted: :roll:
My Photo Album
2012 Cummins-the luxury Tow Pig
1967 F-250 highboy 352, np435(((((((sold))))))))) My first true love
1968 F100 SWB. 360, np-435, flatbed, currently acting as a hornest nest and bee hive.
1971 F-100 4x4 Step-side. 360, np-435, 70k origional miles- needs allot of love.